Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Cones Are For Dunces

We have a soft serve ice cream shop within walking distance from the house. Once or twice a week, during the summer, Peanut, The Champ & I will take a walk after dinner and get dessert.

A few days ago, we went for some ice cream. While waiting in line, I asked the kids what they wanted. Thankfully, the choices are simple; chocolate, vanilla or twist. The only other decision is chocolate sprinkles or rainbow.

The Champ usually gets chocolate with rainbow sprinkles while Peanut get vanilla with rainbow sprinkles.

Then came the request often asked but never, until Monday, approved.

“Can I have mine in a cone?”

Up until then, my answer was always no. I knew if Peanut didn’t drop hers on the ground, she would wear most of it. I also knew I can’t let The Champ get a cone and not Peanut.

“Not today.” , I replied.

“PLLLEEEAAASSSEEE!!!!”

“Fine, but can we not make a mess?”

Yay!!

Apparently, my mind must have left for summer vacation or some premature brain freeze from the ice cream set in.

We ordered our ice creams and sat down at a picnic table to enjoy. I always bring wipes with me seeing the ice cream shop only gives a few napkins to each person.

The Champ did pretty well with his cone. Aside from the chocolate goatee he sprouted, he contained the mess until the bottom of the cone started leaking through.

Total of 3 wipes and 1 napkin used.

Peanut wasn’t so lucky. I can safely say she didn’t drop her ice cream but I think she wore more than she ate. Her entire face was covered in vanilla and she somehow got sprinkles in her hair. I finally gave up trying to contain the mess. Eventually, she had ice cream dripping from her elbow.

Total of 7 wipes and 1 napkin used.

By the end, The Champ was able to finish his ice cream but Peanut gave up. I usually finish whatever is left over but not this time. Her cone couldn’t have been soggier if it had been holding water. No thanks.

Yeah, I know, kids will be kids. But when I allow something that follows with the need to take the garden hose to them, put me in the corner.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Cone in a bowl, my friend. Cone in a bowl.

Thu Jun 11, 09:53:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

Next time bring your camera with you!! I love the messy-ice-cream-eating-photos of my kids!

Thu Jun 11, 06:27:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

Wearing your ice cream is half the fun. I do it all the time...

Fri Jun 12, 07:39:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Funny, isn't it? Well, maybe not. My son used to get entirely DISTRESSED to get icecream on him. Where's the fun in that?

Kids can be weird
and messy.
Definitely messy.

Sat Jun 13, 08:05:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

Yes, but they will have great memories of that night!

Sat Jun 13, 05:08:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Way to be prepared with wipes. I was always the forgetful one and had to wipe their hands on the grass.

Sat Jun 13, 10:24:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home