Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Cup Runneth Over, His, Not So Much

The Champ’s baseball season has started and I don’t know who is happier, him or me. Although he is 7, this is his first year playing organized baseball. We have been in the backyard playing for two years now but the town sets a minimum age of 7 to play on a team. I know other towns start kids with tee-ball earlier than that but his team went straight to coach pitch.

A few days before his first game he was given a team shirt and hat but no pants so I went to the sporting goods store to pick some up. Along with a pair of baseball pants I bought him something a little more valuable. He probably doesn’t need it now but I figure he should get used to it early. “What is it?” he asked.

“What do you think it is?” I replied.

“An elbow pad? What do I need an elbow pad for?” he asked.

So I explained to him what it was and I showed him how to wear it. He wasn’t too thrilled about wearing one but I figured I better get him used to one early before he can argue with me about it.

Three games in and he is doing great. All the practice in the back yard is paying off. He is having fun, too, which is most important.

And luckily, we have yet to test the cup.






Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger creative-type dad said...

An elbow pad...

Or an ice cream scooper.

Wed May 20, 02:44:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

It's those little things in life that we get to explain to them that really stand out. I remember the first time I explained the birds and the bees...

Wed May 20, 01:25:00 PM 2009  
OpenID maplekimchi said...

Or it could be a face mask...could be handy during a game, right?

Wed May 20, 07:56:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

And look at the dirt on the knee! That must have been some serious sliding.

Wed May 20, 08:50:00 PM 2009  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

Is that a young Jim Thome I see playing 1B?

Thu May 21, 09:35:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Di said...

As a veteran baseball Mom of a 13-year old, I am always appalled that my son leaves his cup everywhere...on the coffee table, on top of the washing machine, on the hallway floor. It's just one of those things that once he's got it, I'd rather not have any more contact with it!

Here's my best baseball Mom advice from the South where they play in the rich red clay...OxyClean. Douse the pants with OxyClean spray, let it soak in for a few hours and then was the pants in the hottest water, with a pre-soak and extra rinse...lots of bleach if they are white.

Fri May 22, 07:48:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous Mama G said...

My son once asked if The Husband's cup was a bicycle seat!!

Fri May 22, 04:53:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

The right of passage as a son learns the lessons from the father. The cup goes in the front...

Mon May 25, 11:33:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

I think this is going to be a terrific thing for you and The Champ to share. Sorry I've been away for awhile. I've been lurking some just keep up with the divorce news. You are truly a great dad, Joe!

Wed May 27, 04:18:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin down the road said...

that would be easier to deal with than the whole bra-tampon discussion I am going to eventually have with my girls....

Wed May 27, 09:43:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home