Thursday, April 02, 2009

Vacation's All I Ever Wanted


It’s that time of year again. Spring is here, the birds are singing, the sun is shining and the flowers are starting to bloom.

It’s also time to start figuring out what you will do with your kids during summer vacation.

Sorry, it had to be said. You can’t avoid it forever.

Mrs. Joe and I began our discussion this past weekend. It didn’t go too well. Last year, my sister watched The Champ while Peanut continued in daycare. This year, Mrs. Joe asked if we could do something with The Champ other than having my sister watch him. She suggested our city’s park and rec. camp. I had heard it is very popular so it seemed like a good idea.

Except for the fact that Mrs. Joe claims to not have any money to help pay for it. Or the fact that last year, to sign up, you had to wait in a 2 hour line because it was on a first come first serve basis and this Saturday is signups and Mrs. Joe has to work.

So just to clarify, Mrs. Joe wants me to find a babysitter this Saturday so I can stand in a line for 2-3 hours to try to sign The Champ up for camp that she cannot help pay for.

We decided on only signing him up for 2 weeks of camp, one in July, and one in August. We will split the rest of the summer vacation between me, Mrs. Joe and my sister. I plan on taking some time off and take them camping. Mrs. Joe plans on taking a week or two off as well. My sister will watch him for a few weeks also.

My mother in law has a beach house on Cape Cod. She invited the kids and I out there for a week this summer. I don't think me going out there will go over too well with Mrs. Joe but I think I’ll bring the kids out to stay with her for a week. Mind as well have somebody enjoy the beach.

Any ideas from you out there on how to keep the little ones busy this summer vacation?

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Lots of collecting and any old adventure. Are you kidding? With two kids and summer, any trail, any beach, any anywhere and they'll be excited with an interested adult by their side. The hard part for me is to maintain the interest but it's worth it in the long run.

My kids favorite thing in the world to do is to fill a wading pool with water, dishsoap and food colouring. Blast bubbles and then dump play dishes in. Holds them for hours day after day.

Thu Apr 02, 08:46:00 PM 2009  
OpenID musingsfromthemamabear said...

Anything you do together will be time well-spent. The camping trip sounds fantastic.

Thu Apr 02, 09:16:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous poetrystruth said...

Not sure what to tell you, my little ones go the the inlaws for the entire summer. It's my MIL's idea and I'm all for it.

They do a lot of site seeing and garage sales. The kids love it.

Thu Apr 02, 10:57:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin down the road said...

I'm fortunate that I can take the girls to the beach every day on my own!

Fri Apr 03, 02:01:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Amy said...

Three words: High School Students. In this economy, it's going to be tough for kids to get jobs at the places they used to work over the summer. I'd call the high school and ask the guidance dept. if they know any kids who might be interested in coming over and watching the kids, taking them out to the playground, etc. Put up some notices at local churches too. I'll bet you find someone who loves kids, has energy, and would love to be employed for the summer

Fri Apr 03, 02:34:00 PM 2009  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

House on a cape? Very nice!

Our summer? Pretty much staying away from wildfires.

Sat Apr 04, 03:34:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

I was gonna go with "lock them in the basement," but apparently that's frowned on in polite society.

Sun Apr 05, 07:16:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

i like amy's idea a LOT! if you can swing it, get a boy baby sitter - they're sooo much more exciting than girls (in my experience most of the time). the kids still ask about our "manny" . . .

Tue Apr 07, 10:18:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

Always a fun prospect when it comes to the kids after a split up of parents. Remember its not the place they go but the time they get with their parents.

Sounds like you guys have a pretty good plan.

Tue Apr 07, 12:57:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home