Thursday, April 30, 2009

Beginning Of The End


Mrs. Joe and I had our final meeting with the lawyer regarding our divorce yesterday. I have to say going through a mediator and working together to compromise is a hell of a lot easier than the wars I have heard others go through.

The meeting was mostly paperwork related. We have divided up most of our assets already. I still have to re-mortgage the house to buy out her half but for the most part we are ready to file.

We decided that instead of child support, I will be responsible for paying Peanut & The Champ’s school tuition and sports fees. The lawyer ran the numbers and it is similar in amount to paying child support to Mrs. Joe. I like it because I know the money goes directly to the kids. Too many times I have heard stories about someone’s ex using it for all the wrong reasons.

Custody of the kids will be joint. We will have them one week at a time for the most part. We live only a quarter of a mile from each other and their school is in between us so the kids will always be in the general neighborhood.

The lawyer is having the final paperwork written up over the next few days and will mail it out to us. He said we could be filing before the 15th of May. I called my bank this morning and scheduled an appointment for my mortgage. Mrs. Joe is supposed to get a copy of our marriage certificate to submit as well.

My head knows this is what has to be done. My heart is slowly coming on board but I know that will take time. It is the beginning of the end and I keep reminding myself that once I reach the end there will be another beginning to look forward to.

A brighter one.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Pgoodness said...

Well, here's to new and brighter beginnings, Joe. Sounds like you guys are handling it well and that will definitely benefit the kids. Still, it sucks, so I'm sorry for that.

Thu Apr 30, 10:25:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Yes, focus on the new beginning to come. I hope it's a bright one!

Fri May 01, 08:08:00 AM 2009  
OpenID musingsfromthemamabear said...

There will be a brighter tomorrow, Joe. Promise.

Fri May 01, 04:08:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous poetrystruthw said...

The very last line of your post says it all.

Fri May 01, 07:06:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

I'm glad you are getting all the tedious details ironed out.

Fri May 01, 08:08:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Good for you.

Mon May 04, 08:52:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Mama G said...

It's been awhile since I've visited here ... you sound like you're handling a difficult situation as well as possible.

New beginnings can be thrilling. I look forward to one day reading a post from you where you're telling us about someone fantastic that you've met!

Wed May 06, 12:09:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

I agree with the mediator way to go as well. That's what happened with my divorce as well. Much easier on everyone. Split it right down the middle.

Glad you've got your head on straight and are looking forward not backwards. Keep us updated...

Wed May 06, 01:50:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin down the road said...

Good job. It sounds good and like things are progressing for you. And yes, you are right...it's the beginning now for you...you have absolutely no idea!!! Looking forward to hearing about things as you move forward.

Mon May 11, 09:26:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home