Friday, March 06, 2009

Usually Due To Long Lines At Football Games


My little girl is growing up. Peanut is now done with diapers and pull-ups except at bedtime.

She is doing very well. Daycare is very helpful and Mrs. Joe seems to be actively trying to get her potty trained.

I, on the other hand, have been a little lazy.

When we were potty training The Champ, I was very involved. Maybe cause there weren’t as many distractions in my life or maybe because I could just throw some Cheerios into the toilet and have him fire away.

Either way, I just haven’t been proactive.

One night last week after I got out of work, I picked up Peanut & The Champ from my sister’s and took them to dinner. Not that it would have made a difference but this was the first time Peanut was out with me and did not have a diaper or pull-up on.

After dinner The Champ asked to go to the bathroom. We were close to them so I let him go alone. When he got back Peanut said she had to go too.

And immediately made a bee-line for the ladies room.

“Whoa little lady, daddy can’t go in there with you.”


As I took her hand and led her into a public men’s room for the first time, I realized I had a little more work to do than when I would take The Champ to the bathroom.

With The Champ, I didn’t have to worry other than telling him not to touch anything. With Peanut, that was going to be difficult. I helped her up onto the seat after lining it with half a roll of toilet paper.

So I can say we survived the experience.

I didn’t even have to explain what the urinals were.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Yup, it's work but it's all worth it in the end but can I tell you I'm a little freaked out? Just me. Probably some stupid tv show or something I saw, but actually I think it was a real story. Kid went into bathroom. Kid came back from bathroom. Child had been harmed in bathroom. Creeps lurk for a long time. Sorry, hate to preach, just makes me nervous. I go into the bathroom with my kids every time. (Shit, I'm remembering the last time we were out and i didn't! Can't even trust myself to follow my own rules!)

Mon Mar 09, 07:51:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

I had almost forgotten those young bathroom days. Freaked me out every time mine had to go in one alone.

Tue Mar 10, 08:14:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

My kids enjoy doing the bathroom cycle when we're out at a restaurant. As soon as the food arrives, my son says "I need to go to the bathroom." Given that all hell breaks loose if my wife leaves the table, I take him to the men's room, then return. At which point one of my girls says, "I need to go potty." So I trade off, take her to the men's room, then get back. At this point, I can see my food is cooling: the sauce is solidifying, the steam is no longer rising, and vultures are beginning to circle overhead.

At which point, kid #3 says "I need to go potty too, Daddy." By the time I get back, it's been a solid 20+ minutes since the food was delivered, almost everyone's done, and - as often as not - one of my kids needs to go back for a second round in the bathroom.

Good times.

Tue Mar 10, 08:53:00 AM 2009  
Blogger DiaperPin Up Girl said...

welcome to our world.

Just wait for the day she has a poorly timed sneeze. Lil butts don't fit on those seats and its easy to slip through...

Tue Mar 10, 02:00:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

What you wrote today at my place Joe, what you said, good god and a big fat duck! I cried, Joe. I cried for you, Joe. You are such a good guy.

Tue Mar 10, 04:28:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Good thing she's keeping you on your toes.

Tue Mar 10, 06:47:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

This is why God put little girls on the earth for us fathers. To keep us in line and to keep us humble. I survived three daughters you can handle one. Hang in there....

Wed Mar 11, 08:09:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Dude -- I checked out what Woman in a Windows was referring to, and all I can say is:

You're an infinitely kinder person than I can ever imagine being.

Thu Mar 12, 02:21:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Window. She's in one window only. Sorry.

Thu Mar 12, 02:32:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous poetrystruth said...

In all honesty most mom's don't care if a dad comes in the women's bathroom with their little girls. Just make a quick announcement there's a male in the room and let Peanut do her thing. The thought of my daughter in a male bathroom with possible penis exposure (urinals) freaks me out. Some places actually have family bathrooms which I think is great.

Give it time you'll find your way.

As for The Champ, I make my youngest one (10yrs old) sing or hum while I stand at the door if my hubby isn't with us. Bad things can happen in bathroom. Unfortunately that is the world we live in.

Sat Mar 14, 03:26:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

i put my kids on the public toilets and make them hold onto my legs the entire time, while they are on the roll of toilet paper. to be sure they never put their hands down on something gross. i hate kids in the public restroom, it grosses me out, when they drop things or touch the trashcan....

Sun Mar 15, 06:45:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home