Monday, March 02, 2009

Not The Close Contact They Were Expecting


It was about ten o’clock, Thursday night. Peanut & The Champ were sound asleep and I had just finished watching an episode of Lost. I am watching last season on DVD thanks to a friend from work.

I got ready for bed, kissed the kids goodnight and crawled under the covers.

As I lay there, a familiar feeling came over me. A feeling I used to get on Thursday nights back when Mrs. Joe was still home, long before her admittance of an affair, her moving out and the attempts of reconciliation.

Back then I thought it was due to being anxious while she was out with her girlfriend. Once in awhile, she would come home a little late, a little drunk and a little horny. At the time, I thought it was pretty hot having her crawl into bed looking for love.

Then I found out she would go to him after she left her girlfriend.

Either way, that "sixth sense" was back and I wasn’t going to be played again.

I called Mrs. Joe’s phone. No answer. I tried her cell, same thing. I then called my cousin and asked him to come over. He knows the whole story and when I told him what was up, him and his girlfriend said they would be right over. I got dressed and waited for them. They arrived about ten minutes later.

I then left to go to Mrs. Joe’s apartment. She lives only a few blocks away. I told my cousin to call my cell in 15 minutes. I remember now that I never told him what to do if I didn’t answer.

As I turned the corner onto Mrs. Joe’s street I saw it, his green pickup, in a parking lot next to her building. I parked on the street in front of her apartment and sat there for about a minute.

Then I went in.

I walked up the flight of stairs to her door and knocked. Knocked twice and then a third time. I then heard someone walk by the door. Whoever it was was going from the bedroom towards the bathroom. The footsteps came back to the door.

“Who is it” asked Mrs. Joe.

“Open the fucking door” I replied.

She actually did. Can you believe it?

And there she was in nothing but a bathrobe holding a cosmopolitan.

I said something to her as I walked past, heading for her bedroom. As I turned the corner, there he was, standing in his underwear. I remember that he must have had 4-5 inches on me in height and weighed a good 50lbs more. But I remember one thing.

Fear.

Along with the Hanes he was wearing, he had a look of fear on him.

As I walked up to him, I said something about Mrs. Joe.

And I belted him right in the mouth.

Boys and girls, it was on.

We mixed it up pretty good while Mrs. Joe was trying to pull me away from him. I got him to the floor somehow but he ended up wrapping his arms around my neck, pinning my head to the floor. Things became a little clearer when I couldn’t breathe very well.

I told Mrs. Joe to tell him to let me go. He eventually did. As I got up Mrs. Joe started saying something to me but I reacted in a way I had never done before.

I slapped her across the face and walked out the door.

I went back home, expecting the cops to pay me a visit. My cousin and his girlfriend couldn’t believe the story I told them. I had a good bruise starting on my forehead and my right hand was bloodied from popping him in the mouth but I felt good. I finally stood up to them. I finally said no more.

The cops never showed. My cousin and his girlfriend left about an hour later. I made it to work on Friday, telling the story a half dozen times. I called a lawyer. I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon. I hope to file for divorce as soon as possible.

Part of me is relieved. The path is set out in front of me now. It is wide and clear with nothing to trip me up.

Labels: ,

24 Comments:

Blogger Pgoodness said...

well, damn.

not sure what else to say. but good move on the lawyer and moving ahead.

i know it still sucks. but good for you.

Mon Mar 02, 10:45:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

Even when we don't get the ending we expected, it is just nice to have it come to the end. And during the story, I kept thinking she was the one you should have belted.

Mon Mar 02, 10:46:00 PM 2009  
Blogger DiaperPin Up Girl said...

Holy shit.

Mon Mar 02, 10:47:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry Joe, and having been cheated on, I know what you mean about the sixth sense thing...good luck.
-Michelle

Mon Mar 02, 11:31:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Holy crap, Joe. Holy friggen crap. First off I'm so sorry that you've cause for any more pain. I'm glad you got to deck the ass, though. I'm wanting to even now. And the slap. I don't endorse violence but sometimes it's mighty fine to rid the body of snaking emotion. I'm so happy you got to do that. The whole episode reads like well, an episode, reads so perfectly that I think it needed to happen.

You're set free. In a backass sorta way, at least you're free!

be well,
erin

Tue Mar 03, 09:43:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Ms. Judy said...

Wow! At least you've got a concrete answer. No more wondering. Good luck to you on a happy future!

Tue Mar 03, 10:15:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous Tracey said...

I was holding my breath through the whole story and then, at the end, blessed relief that you've seen the light. I resisted putting my two cents in when you wrote about reconsiling, wanting to shout "Don't do it, dude!". In my experience, and I've been there, once a cheater, always a cheater. Soon to be ex. Mrs. Joe's hesitation over breaking it off with the other guy was a BIG RED FLAG in my eyes. The only advice I can give is keep try to keep it civil for the kids sake. I wish you the best of luck with everything.

Tue Mar 03, 12:51:00 PM 2009  
OpenID maplekimchi said...

As I was reading your post, I half expected(hoped) that you say you woke up and it was all a nightmare. Holy shit is absolutely right. I'm sorry she lead you to believe that things would be different and you'd work it out. I too do not condone violence but that slap was appropriate for her stupid games and the emotion pain she has caused. I am glad you've got your answer and the path is set. I want to say more about Mrs. Joe but it wouldn't be very "nice".

All positive thoughts and vibes to you and the children during this crappy time.

Tue Mar 03, 07:26:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

damn!

(good vibes your way . . . and a dash of strength.)

man i wish i had had the balls to do something like that. did it feel as good as i imagined it would?

Tue Mar 03, 07:39:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous bea said...

OMG! Mrs. Joe is an ugly, selfish woman. Good riddance. You deserve so much better.

Keep moving forward. Up ahead and around the bend is where the warm sun is shining.

Tue Mar 03, 07:56:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Holy shit. I mean... holy shit.

(That being said: congrats on putting your fist into his fucking teeth.)

Wed Mar 04, 07:43:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Darren said...

Wow! I'm sorry. But good for you...score one for Joe.

Wed Mar 04, 07:50:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous phenom said...

I heard a rumor that there was some fisticuffs over this way so I thought I'd happen by. That story's freaking crazy! I think I'm gonna go to Applebee's today and kick over some gumball machines.

Wed Mar 04, 09:31:00 AM 2009  
Blogger HalfCrazy said...

Glad you punched the guy, I guess he totally deserves it. As for slapping Mrs. Joe, I don't know what to say but I hope the divorce thing would be pretty successful.

Much Love,

Thu Mar 05, 12:18:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Whit said...

Damn skippy.

That's a kind of closure most people would pay good money to have.

Thu Mar 05, 03:32:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Amy said...

Oh Joe...why'd you have to hit him? I realize it probably felt good, but violence doesn't ever help, and now the two of them can get a restraining order against you.

The whole situation sucks, it really does, and I really do empathize with why you wanted to hit him...but actually doing it can end up hurting not only you but the kids too, if this ends up in court. You can be mad, frustrated, angry all you want...but please try not to act upon those feelings, unless it's filing for divorce, as you are doing.

stay strong, think of your kids and what a great dad you are--don't deprive them of your presence in their lives.

Thu Mar 05, 09:53:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

Dude,
Thank you for doing what a bunch of us guys wished we had done when we were cheated on. Great story and one worth repeating to all but a judge (if it goes that far).

Sorry for the marriage loss. But in this case your better off.

I love the sixth sense thing. I had the same thing going on when I caught my ex with her boyfriend when we were still married. Sometimes, you just know...

Thu Mar 05, 11:15:00 AM 2009  
OpenID iamagrownup said...

Hi Joe...visiting you. thanks for stopping by my site...here I am now catching up on yours. Ouch...you've been through the ringer. Hang in there. I'll be following you to make sure you end up ok..and I know you will. You have right on your side and you seem like a strong/stable man. Hope the bruise and hand heals soon. Ouch!

Thu Mar 05, 11:40:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous movindowntheroad said...

I'd say that's a good reason NOT to reconcile and NOT to trust her if you were to reconcile. (am I missing something? Didn't she break things off with him because she wanted to work things out with you?)

Sun Mar 08, 04:39:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

I don't even know what to say. I am sorry you are having to go through all this. I do believe once a cheat always a cheat. At least that's been my experience

Sun Mar 08, 10:53:00 PM 2009  
Blogger tonya said...

I read this and just sat. Just sat still and realized that a big fat tear was rolling down my cheek. I'm still not sure if it is a tear of sadness or happiness if that makes any sense. Or does that sound shitty? I'm sorry, yet I'm happy for you.
Whatever comes your way in the future... Mr. It better be damn good that's all I gotta say. I'm in your corner.

Mon Mar 09, 08:52:00 PM 2009  
Blogger tonya said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Mon Mar 09, 08:52:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Kandee said...

Sometimes you just have to do what feels right.
It doesn't always make perfect sense to others but at the heat of the moment, its what was right for you.
You were like the kid in elementary school who got teased and bullied for years. You stood up for yourself and right or wrong it is what it is.
I probably would have done the same as you and I would have felt both sad and overjoyed all in the same breath.

Tue Mar 10, 11:31:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous poetrystruth said...

Wow. The truth really does hurt, but the true healing can't begin until you know.

Sat Mar 14, 02:40:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home