Monday, March 16, 2009

Did Momma Say There’d Be Days Like This?

I woke up a half an hour late this morning. The Champ was already nestled in on the couch watching cartoons but Peanut was not awake yet.

After a too quick shower, I hurried up the stairs to get dressed. I remembered how I pissed my boss off Wednesday before he left town for the rest of the week. Great, now I’ll have to address that when I get in, whenever that might be.

I was in the bathroom putting in my contacts as Peanut stumbled by to join her brother. Little did she know the t.v. was going off in a matter of minutes so they could start getting ready for school. I guess that would be my fault for not getting her up before my shower.

After getting dressed, I tried to motivate the kids to do the same. They weren’t in the mood. When did they start playing Yogi Bear cartoons again? I ended up simply turning off the t.v. That wasn’t too well received by either child.

After getting the kids dressed, I tried to get them fed. The Champ was good, leftover pancakes from yesterday. Peanut? Not so much. After negotiating five minutes for cereal she took two bites and was done. What do I do, spend more time debating breakfast or move on to getting out the door?

After loading up the backpacks with lunches, homework and papers for the school, I asked the kids to get their coats on. Peanut declared she didn’t want to go to school, she wanted to go to mommy’s. Reasoning with a 3 year old obviously failed, the crying began, the delay continued.

Peanut’s meltdown continued as we arrived at daycare. There she lay, under the table, her coat still on, crying for her mother. I tried to calm her down but it was no use. How f-ing difficult is it to leave your kid when they are like that?

I dropped The Champ off and made it to work 20 minutes late.

The rest of today eased up. By the end, I was mentally exhausted. I snapped at the kids and put them to bed early. After, as I stood in the kitchen making them their lunches a wave of emotion came over me. I felt angry with myself for snapping at them at bet time. They didn’t deserve it, I thought.

I then became angry at Mrs. Joe for creating this mess. I then questioned myself. What could I have done differently today, that Thursday night, since she left, before she left?

I finished up the day’s to-do’s, opened up a beer, wrapping up this post and going to bed.

I hope tomorrow is better.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Pgoodness said...

It will be. Maybe not tomorrow, but it will be. You're doing just fine. Hang in there. :)

Mon Mar 16, 10:13:00 PM 2009  
OpenID iamagrownup said...

I've had days like that. Tomorrow will be better. I promise.

Mon Mar 16, 10:41:00 PM 2009  
OpenID maplekimchi said...

Everyone has days like this. Mine are more frequent than I'd like to think.:-). It will be better today.

Tue Mar 17, 06:46:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Joe, you're not alone. We all do it. We go round and round. Yesterday I kicked the crap outta the kid's toolchest outside because my kids destroyed our shed and should have known better and then didn't want to be responsible. I must have looked like an idiot. And I wonder why my daughter goes off. It's all a mess we try to muddle through. We try our best. We sometimes fail. We try again the next day. Sometimes hugs and apologies work. Sometimes explaining. Sometimes just doing better the next time around.

Tue Mar 17, 10:02:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

I bet tomorrow will be better. Just thinking about ways to start the morning right always seems to help me. Good luck.

Tue Mar 17, 11:37:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

AT the very least you thought about how you could make it better. That's half the battle right there. Being pissed off at the ex only works for awhile. Eventually you move on and realize your a single dad now and it falls on your shoulders. Time will help and it will get a bit easier. Hang in there. Been there, done that....

Tue Mar 17, 02:56:00 PM 2009  
Blogger DiaperPin Up Girl said...

I put the kids to bed early sometimes too. It makes it easier when they cant read time.

Hang in there. It will get better.

Sometimes it helps me to tell this kids I'm having a hard day and I need their help by being more patient.

Tue Mar 17, 03:44:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

Add the flu to all that, and you've got my week.

Fri Mar 20, 04:17:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home