Thursday, February 26, 2009

Slave Labor With A Smile

So awhile back the kids and I were in Target and The Champ begged me to buy him another Bakugan. If you have a boy between the ages of 6 & 10 you know what they are. If not, just combine Pokemon & Transformers.

Anyway, in an effort to teach him about the value of a dollar, in the case of a Bakugan, six, I asked him if he'd be willing to do some chores around the house. I told him I would start giving him an allowance if he agreed. He said o.k.

I decided he would be responsible for bringing in the empty trash cans when he gets home from school.

Here's where my decision to have him take care of the trash cans failed. The first few times went fine. We would get home, he would see the empty cans at the end of the driveway and put them away.

Then Peanut decided she wanted to help her big brother. Arguments ensued because The Champ didn't want to share his "chores" with his sister.

"Um, kid you'll still get the same allowance whether your sister helps or not." I thought to myself.

I told him he would still get the same amount and to let his sister help.

The last two weeks the kids have taken it to the next level. Not only are they fighting over my trash cans, they are going to the neighbor's and bringing their trash cans from the curb to their doors.

Fine job teaching him the value of a dollar. Don't they realize this is supposed to be a chore?

I wonder if cleaning the toilets would get this response?

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

HA! That's so sweet. Don't worry. It won't last long. Soon they'll be back to good healthy fighting, you know, like over who is definitely not going to bring the can in this week because they did it last week!

Thu Feb 26, 10:01:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Give 'em a month, then set 'em to work on your spring cleanup. "Clear the lawn, and you'll both get $10 and an ice cream sundae. Meanwhile, I'll drink this beer and supervise."

Fri Feb 27, 08:51:00 AM 2009  
Blogger hkki said...

I do not know bakugan but I know pokemon and transformers. I bought a lot. BUt now my son is 15 so no more pokemons. But there are many things to buy for every age. :))

Fri Feb 27, 10:20:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

my girls are that way with laundry!

Sat Feb 28, 07:50:00 AM 2009  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

haha! the kids argue about who does that chore, too! isn't that weird? so now it's girl on tuesday and boy on friday.

(but SHHHH! about payment, they don't get an allowance.) =)

Sat Feb 28, 01:29:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

How in the world have you managed this parental feat and would you please come over and get my kids to fight over chores?

Sat Feb 28, 05:47:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

Enjoy it now while you can. Teenagers take more than bribery to get them to do anything...

Mon Mar 02, 09:50:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home