Monday, February 23, 2009

Good Thing Beer Doesn't Freeze


It's official, my separation is driving me nuts.

I determined this not by any reasons you & I might expect. Yesterday, I had the day all to myself with the kids at their mother's. I could tackle all those tasks I wanted. In the end, I spent most of it on the couch. Quality time with myself, I guess.

Around dinner time I started looking for something to eat. I didn't want to work too hard and I was getting ready to watch the NASCAR race so time was an issue. Scanning the fridge with the door wide open, I can do that now with nobody else around, something caught my eye.

A package of hamburger patties.

Right then and there I decided that's what I wanted for dinner, two nice juicy hamburgers with cheese. I picked up a 6-pack of #9's on Saturday so I had everything that was required. Too bad a few problems arose. One is you have to grill hamburgers outside, two, it's February and three, I live in Massachusetts.

It didn't matter. I soon found myself standing outside, beer in hand, flipping burgers with snow falling around me and the temperature a crisp 30 degrees.

Truth is Mrs. Joe did all the cooking when she was here. She cooked, I did the dishes. It was a fair deal. With Mrs. Joe gone, I've learned to cook a few things. I know hamburgers aren't rocket science but to want them bad enough to go outside in the middle of winter and cook them surprised even me.

Must have been all that free time on the couch. Being horizontal that long staring at the TV must have put me in a trance or something.

But I have to say those were the best hamburgers I have had in a long time.

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

That's one of the good things to being alone for a bit. You don't have to make sense. You just have to make burgers.

Mon Feb 23, 08:52:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

I do that, but I make risotto, eat it right out of the pot while watching something ridiculous on tv when I should be folding laundry (and I crank up the heat....do not go outside...seeing that I live in Mass too!)

Mon Feb 23, 10:34:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Brave man. My grill season roughly parallels the baseball season... so you're about 6 weeks ahead of me.

Mon Feb 23, 10:50:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

you're a better person/single parent sans kids than i am - i usually eat something right out of it's container on those days. (i am a foul little woman.)

Tue Feb 24, 02:49:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Debbie said...

Now I'm worried about myself. I have grilled out several times this winter. Does that mean my estrogen has completely bitten the dust?

Tue Feb 24, 04:59:00 PM 2009  
Blogger Mike said...

When you want a burger, you want a burger, weather be damned....

NASCAR on the other hand, I could take it or leave it.

Wed Feb 25, 02:17:00 PM 2009  
OpenID maplekimchi said...

Nothing tastes better than grilled food. That hamburger sound wonderful. Cold beer is the perfect match too.

Wed Feb 25, 09:22:00 PM 2009  
Anonymous phenom said...

Well done! If you haven't grilled in the freeze of winter, then you haven't really grilled. :)

Thu Feb 26, 08:53:00 AM 2009  
Blogger DiaperPin Up Girl said...

I grill in the dead of winter too.

Its actually smart to grill when its cold. It guarantees your beer won't warm up.

Thu Feb 26, 09:13:00 AM 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually you can cook hamburgers in a pan. My mom does it all the time and they taste really good. But since you're a man grilling probably seems more manly to you :P.

Sun Mar 01, 12:43:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home