Monday, December 01, 2008

Twenty Years And Some Self Assurance


I hope everybody’s Thanksgiving was nice. I let Mrs. Joe take the kids to her father’s house. That’s where we have gone for Thanksgiving since before we were married so I figured I would keep everything the same as much as possible.

I went to my sister’s house. We lost our parents a few years ago so it was just my sister, her husband, my nephew and myself. We watched some football, ate dinner and watched a little more football until we started falling asleep. I ducked out before the entire room was comatose.

Saturday, Mrs. Joe still had the kids so I had a free evening. I was playing cards at my cousin’s house with some relatives. My aunt was trying to get rid of the leftover turkey, offering to make turkey sandwiches for everybody.

My phone rang. It was a buddy of mine who has a side job as a d.j.

With very loud ‘80’s music playing in the background, “Hey, what are you doing?”

“Playing cards with my cousin,” I replied.

“Why don’t you come up to the Knights of Columbus hall on Memorial Drive?” he asked.

“Why?” I asked.

“I’m d.j.’ing your 20 year high school reunion,” he replied.

Instantly my mind returned back to my teenage years, the best time of my life, no cares in the world. The time where I began to forge friendships that would last a lifetime.

And if you believe any of that…

See, I was Ally Sheedy in high school. I had long hair even though I didn't play in any band. I wasn't a great student but I never got into trouble either. I kept to myself pretty much.

Let me put it this way. I still live in my hometown and I didn’t even get an invite to this.

“Why would I go to my 20 year high school reunion?” I asked.

“Lets just say it’ll be interesting," he replied.

I asked my cousin if he wanted to go. He graduated 3 years ahead of me. He was a quiet one also but he knew some people from my class. He was game.

So yes, I crashed my 20 year high school reunion...

...in jeans.

We got there and walked right in. I recognized a few people. Nobody I cared to talk to, though. I seen a few people notice me. It felt weird. Here I was, the quiet long-haired nobody in high school walking into this formal event in jeans...

...and I didn't have a care in the world.

We grabbed a beer and walked over to my buddy the d.j. He laughed his ass of seeing me walk up in jeans. We all had a good time about it. I spent most of the night with my cousin, trying to see if we recognized anybody.

I only talked to two guys I graduated with all night. One I see often with our sons being the same age. They have played soccer together more than once. The second guy didn't even recognize me at first.

I have to say it was interesting. All through high school I was too quiet to make too many friends. I kept my head down and buried myself in my hair, hoping to morph into the wall. Now, I crash the party completely underdressed and could care less if anybody wanted to talk to me.

I don't care what my graduation song was 20 years ago, right now is the best of times.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous TwoBusy said...

There's a kind of freedom to honestly not giving a fuck. Good for you.

Tue Dec 02, 09:08:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

I was the kid that got his hairy butt taped in the locker room.

Tue Dec 02, 03:37:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

Highschool sucked. But if I cared to ever go to a reunion (Not on your life!) I'd like it to be like this, "Here I was, the quiet long-haired nobody in high school walking into this formal event in jeans...and I didn't have a care in the world." I'd just opt out long-haired for big-haired.

Tue Dec 02, 08:41:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

80's music fixes everything, doesn't it?

Wed Dec 03, 11:31:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Dan said...

I don't think I'd bother with my reunion either. It's amazing how important it seemed then and how unimportant it seems now.

Wed Dec 03, 01:58:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

I was the jock in the movie in my high school. Of course I went to high school in the 70's.

I think you had the right idea for the reunion, casual. My 30th was held at a bar and we all showed up in shorts (last August)...

Wed Dec 03, 06:26:00 PM 2008  
Blogger John said...

There's a wonderful freedom to not caring...oh, wait. Someone already said that. D;oh!

Thu Dec 04, 02:45:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

Oh my god. You didn't. This is classic. I can't stop laughing. WHAT A RIOT!!! Good for you! Yah. I am so ready for the holidays to be over. It is added stress with the whole swapping back and forth and splitting days or giving up days.

Thu Dec 04, 06:59:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home