Friday, December 12, 2008

Old Illustrators Never Die…

Every Friday evening, the local Barnes & Noble has story time for the kids. I have been taking Peanut & The Champ most of the Fridays that I have them. Sometimes the store holds story time on a different night if they have a guest author or illustrator there to read to the kids.

Last night, illustrator Jeff Mack was there reading his new book Hush Little Polar Bear. The Champ sat attentively through the reading of that book as well as the three other books illustrated by Jeff.

Peanut decided to pass on the reading of the stories and play with all the plush toys.

I give Jeff a lot of credit, he kept the kids attention very well. After about 45 minutes of reading, he answered the kids’ questions and signed copies of his new book.

As we were leaving, I asked The Champ if he wanted to be an illustrator of children’s books when he got older.

“Do they have to retire?” he asked.

“What do you mean?” I replied.

“When they get old, do they have to retire?”

“No, you can be an illustrator when you are old.”

“Well then I will be an illustrator after I am a baseball player. Baseball players have to retire when they get old.”

Does this mean I should have asked for the senior citizen discount when I paid for the book?

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Debbie said...

Yes. Always ask for the senior citizen discount. The kids think you are beyond ancient anyway, so you might as well save a buck.

Fri Dec 12, 03:28:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

It's good to see him maximizing his options!

Geesh, my daugher wants to be a farmer and my son...well, I don't think he's dreamed that far.

(and don't worry 'bout the
5'4" thing. I take great delight when it's not me saying stuff like that 'cause usually it is. But dude, the whole reason for the post was 'cause I kinda should lose 10 or so, but the chocolate, oh the chocolate and the hamburgers and homemade bread and Christmas cookies...it's just easier to complain.)

Fri Dec 12, 10:50:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Baseball player and illustrator. Very nice career choices...and he should make enough to take care of his dad. ;)

Fri Dec 12, 11:04:00 PM 2008  
Blogger John said...

sucks when you start feeling old...as a middle aged dad, I feel your pain.

Story time sounds fun. I think I'll check into that here.

At least the champ has it narrowed to 2. My Boo has at least 10 different career choices...this week.

Sat Dec 13, 04:11:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

yeah, wait til they tell you they are never getting married or leaving your side/house. that's what my girls say. "I am never going to work and never leaving you, Mommy. I am going to live with your forever!"

Sun Dec 14, 08:54:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Forty five minutes in Barnes and Noble would have been Heaven for me.
Keep going.

Tue Dec 16, 10:36:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

The Champ has a plan! I followed the same course! Unfortunately my baseball days ended much sooner than planned so I've been illustrating a long time.

Wed Dec 17, 10:41:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

Illustrator is so much better than doing Baseball Tonight. Good call.

Thu Dec 18, 02:09:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home