Thursday, December 18, 2008

Now The Fun Really Starts

The e-mail started normal enough.

“I got a birthday party invitation for The Champ today.”

At the end, it got rather surprising.

“I’m making pork chops for dinner tonight if you would like to come over.”

I read it a second time to confirm. Yes, Mrs. Joe had just invited me over for dinner. We had been getting along okay over the last few weeks but this was different.

I replied back saying I would come. The thought of sitting down with her for dinner was compelling.

Never mind the fact that she makes great pork chops.

I picked up a bottle of wine on the way there. We always enjoyed a glass with dinner and I figured I should bring something.

When I got there, Peanut & The Champ had just finished up their dinners. Mrs. Joe fed them first and set them up in the living room with a movie to keep them occupied. I said hi and gave both of them a big kiss and settled them back into their movie.

Mrs. Joe had the table all set. I opened the wine and poured us each a glass. She prepared a plate for each of us and we sat down and started eating.

We talked about the kids. She told me about her work and how her family was. I mentioned how slow my work was with the automakers waiting for the bailout.

I will say the dinner was nice. We finished, cleaned up and continued to talk over another glass of wine.

The conversation led to us. We both opened up and shared a lot. It was a conversation that should have happened long ago, before all the bullshit.

Then it was said. Not in the exact words but the point was made.

She wants to come back.

Albeit not right away and not without more conversation. She said she isn’t sure if it could work and I agreed. She also said we could go to a therapist together. I told her that sounded like a good idea.

I think we will wait until January, though. Let us get through Christmas and see where we are then.

Looks like I got some thinking to do.

Labels: ,

17 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Wow. That's big news.

Congratulations, if that's the right sentiment. I'm sure it will be the right sentiment as far as your kids go.

Thu Dec 18, 01:37:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Debbie said...

Well, I think this is good news. And you can never go wrong with a bottle of wine.

Thu Dec 18, 04:09:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Woman in a Window said...

OK, when you have your next big talk you need to tell her about all of us. We're all in your corner, no matter how this turns out.

How are you? Is your belly all conflugalled? I hope you're OK. Best over the holidays. Glad you're taking this slowly. (I don't trust her. She's got some 'splaining to do.)

Thu Dec 18, 07:44:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous mom2divas said...

Wow...new resolutions and solutions to think about for the New Year. I wish the very best for you, whatever that may be. Thanks for sharing with us. Happy Holidays.

Thu Dec 18, 09:11:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

Sounds like you've got a lot of thinking to do . . . Do what's right for YOU. This might sound harsh, but you gotta do what's best for you. (she wasn't thinking about what was best for ya'll . . .)

'Cause if you're at your best as a person, you're gonna be at your best as a dad . . . with or without a wife.

good luck!

Thu Dec 18, 10:02:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ms. Judy said...

Could you hear me gasp? Oh my!

Thu Dec 18, 11:35:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Pgoodness said...

No reason not to keep talking, and the therapy is definitely worth a try. Good luck - I really hope it works out the best for all of you. :)

Fri Dec 19, 08:26:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Fuck me.

Wow. Talk about coming full circle from this time last year.

That being said: all the luck in the world...

Fri Dec 19, 03:09:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dogs Mom said...

Careful!

Fri Dec 19, 03:46:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT?!!!!

Do what makes YOU happy. Whatever happens, I hope you and the kids are okay...
-Michelle

Fri Dec 19, 06:35:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Best of luck in treading the path...think it all through carefully.

Sat Dec 20, 02:25:00 PM 2008  
Blogger John said...

Wow! I hope things work out well for you both. Not that my opinion counts for much, but I think you're smart to take it slow and cautious.

Sun Dec 21, 12:42:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

This post made me happy. I hope you are feeling the same. Take it slowly and do what your heart says.

Enjoy the holidays.

Mon Dec 22, 09:17:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

WOW!!!! Holy cow.

Mon Dec 22, 09:40:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

I've been terrible with blog reading this month...sorry about that.

Take it slow and be sure it's right for everyone...especially you and the kids...you don't want them having to go through a break-up again. That said, best of luck though. It's a wise choice to wait too and not make a decision during the holidays.

Mon Dec 22, 11:57:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

Wow.

Well, I would agree you do have some thinking to do.

Best of luck and I hope this leads you to what you want for your family.

Tue Dec 23, 02:32:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous mattdaddy said...

Examine the Why of it all and see what's up with that. That's a bit weird, but it sounds like y'all had a bunch to talk about and talking is always good.

Even if nothing comes out of it, y'all can be more civil to one another when the kids are around.

Good luck dude.

Fri Jan 02, 12:35:00 PM 2009  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home