Thursday, December 04, 2008

Can I Tell Him To Just Walk It Off?

Back in June I told you about Ester, the betta Mrs. Joe & I got from Wal-Mart for The Champ for getting a good report card last year.

I'm sorry to say we lost Ester this week.

He had been sick for the last week or two. I looked up his symptoms on the internet and it seems he was suffering from SBD or swim bladder disorder.

If you didn't know, and I didn't, one cause of SBD is overfeeding.

Yes, we fed the fish to death.

The Champ took it pretty well considering this is the first and only pet he has gotten. I think this book helped.




I picked The Berenstain Bears Lose a Friend up last week and explained to him what might happen to Ester.

It was the first time The Champ cried in this way. I've helped him through the bumped heads and the skinned knees but this was different.

I couldn't just kiss the hurt and make it go away.

I know there will be more times he hurts this way. And I know it will hurt me not to be able to help him.

I just wish there was a children's book for each upcoming situation.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Woman in a Window said...

That's hard, isn't it? Earlier this year when our cat died I waited a week to tell the kids. They thought he was still at the vets. Then I caught them in a moment of anticipating something else, playing outside, and they said, "Oh, OK." But it did settle in later in waves, and still is I'm afraid. Death is never easy, but I daresay it's good that you're starting out with the death of a goldfish. AND that is twisted, isn't it?

Thu Dec 04, 10:05:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Dan said...

To some extent that is the purpose of pets, to introduce the concept of death in a less traumatic way than, say, a grandparent dying.

Fri Dec 05, 04:09:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Must've been all those leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving. Damn you, pilgrims! (shaking fist)

Fri Dec 05, 06:12:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

I've watched each of my children suffer a broken bone and a broken heart. The broken bone is much easier to deal with.

It is indeed difficult to watch our children hurt in their hearts. It does not get easier but you do learn that the pain passes and all of you come out the other side OK.

Fri Dec 05, 08:08:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Debbie said...

The only tears I ever saw relating to the Berenstain Bears were anytime my kids got near my husband with one of those books. The man has a real phobia of those bears.
We have fed several fish to death. One was a sucker fish that eats the algae which apparently we had an overabundance of.
It is always hard to lose a pet though.

Fri Dec 05, 11:51:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

I'm thinking that with a betta you could have gotten another of the same color and just replaced it when he wasn't looking.

I realize it's not the lesson you want to teach, but sometimes you might want to wait until their older and can understand better.

Fri Dec 05, 05:26:00 PM 2008  
Blogger painted maypole said...

oof, death is hard. berenstain bears do have a book for just about everything, though. ;)

Sat Dec 06, 02:20:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

That's a drag. Our house lost a dog of 14 years and a cat of 17 years this year, and my oldest took it kinda hard and still cries about it from time to time. That is a good book for it, though, for sure.

Sat Dec 06, 10:10:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

same here. we had the same experience with the hermit crabs when they died.

Sat Dec 06, 01:14:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home