Monday, November 03, 2008

Shameless Plugs Without Any Compensation

Ever since Mrs. Joe left, I have learned a lot of things about myself. One is that I have learned that my friends are more important to me than I ever thought. I learned that my friends are willing to stand by me no matter what but they aren't afraid to tell me I am wrong either.

Also, I have spent more time with them. I used to see them once a week or so but now when Mrs. Joe has the kids I am able to enjoy their company more often.

They have also turned me onto some music that I wouldn't necessarily listen to. I would usually listen to hard rock, Puddle Of Mudd, Seether, Breaking Benjamin, Staind, etc.

Yeah, some would say my taste in music needs to grow up.

Because of that, one friend turned me on to Pandora Radio. It is an online radio station that programs itself based on what you like and dislike. And you can create multiple stations base on certain styles.

Since I have found this, I have found a whole new world of music out there. And I have found one genre specifically that I can't get enough of right now.

Folk.

You heard me.

I love it.

I listen to it at work and have learned to appreciate it. More specifically, I can't get enough of the newer folk artists out there. Martin Sexton, KT Tunstall, Ben Harper & Ray LaMontagne, etc. Pandora calls it Contemporary Folk.

I call it good.

One singer has stood out above them all. GBD clued me in to him and I loved the music from the start. Amos Lee is from Philadelphia. He opened up for Norah Jones on her last tour.

Then I found out something even better.

He is currently on tour and was booked to play right up the road from me last week.

GBD & I went and I have to say it was one of the best shows I have ever seen. Mind you the last concert I had been to was Sevendust about nine years ago but this was so good.

I will not say I am done with my hard rocking ways. I bought tickets to see Staind and Seether outside Boston in two weeks, I just have broadened my tastes.

Now if I could just get Amos Lee & Staind to do a show together I could save over $30 bucks and only have to buy a ticket for one show.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger womaninawindow said...

I have to say that it seemed like music was in a said stasis for about ten years or so (just a few years back.) My husband and I had resigned ourselves to just play the old stuff we liked 'cause the new stuff seemed to be the stuff of shit. Lately though there is a new deluge of talent and diversity. Enjoy it all! Hey, try Winter Sleep, a little band from the East Coast of Canada. Most excellent. Check out Weighty Ghost, Avalanche, Insomnia Or Listen. Enjoy.

Mon Nov 03, 09:54:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dogs Mom said...

Funny! I just found out yesterday tbhat Amos Lee is here tomorrow (Wednesday)!!! I'm so excited - I've seen him one other time - with his first album release and wasn't disapointed! Can't wait! So glad more are finding him!

Tue Nov 04, 05:53:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Speaking as someone who just rediscovered the joys of live music last year... I hear ya, dude.

(p.s. check out Bill Morrissey. Like Raymond Carver set to music.)

(p.p.s. WiaW -- I just checked out Wintersleep... and am officially intrigued. Insomnia = great song.)

Tue Nov 04, 09:17:00 AM 2008  
Blogger david mcmahon said...

Me, I listen to a lot of rock, but I always have had (and still do) lots of time for folk music.

Tue Nov 04, 03:58:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

Yep. The quieter genres are more up my alley these days. I listen to a close cousin of folk, Americana. Cross Canadian Ragweed (the new CCR), James McMurtry, Steve Earle, Lucinda Williams, Punch Brothers, etc.

But I still have to pop in Breaking Benjamin here and there. Last CD I bought? The new AC/DC. Go get it!

Tue Nov 04, 04:53:00 PM 2008  
Blogger creative kerfuffle said...

i found pandora.com about a year or so ago and i LOVE it. i haven't ventured into folk, but maybe i will now.

Tue Nov 04, 05:40:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

You're only just finding these guys? I love Amos Lee. Ray M is awesome. He played today on my ipod. :)

Tue Nov 04, 07:22:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Thanks for the info on Pandora's Radio. I'm hooked.

Tue Nov 04, 08:08:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

Isn't sad that it takes a shake up in your life to discover your friends again? Same thing happened when I first got divorced. My old friends showed up to support me and be there as...well friends. Enjoy your time with them...

Wed Nov 05, 02:06:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

Haven't considered Folk music, but I'm a sucker for Flamenco. :)

Fri Nov 07, 02:36:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I'm all about Lucinda Williams these days.

Haven't been around much lately and I'm sorry for that dude.

But I haven't forgotten you and I hope you are doing well. Big smooches friend.

Sun Nov 09, 08:59:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home