Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Right On! Target


With it being almost winter here in New England, the nights are getting a tad on the cold side. That and the fact that I don’t have any warm body to cozy up against means it is time to pull out the flannel sheets.

I went into the basement and opened the tote with all the flannel sheets and grabbed a set for me and a set for The Champ. I then realized I didn’t have a set for Peanut.

With her still in a crib until this past spring, it never occurred to me that I would need a set for her. The Champ has a full size bed whereas Peanut only has a twin so I couldn’t even put a set of his on her bed for the time being.

No big deal. I’ll just run to the store and buy a set. For me, shopping for things like bed sheets, it’s not as much about patterns, colors or how many threads per inch. It is strictly based on the ability to get into the store, find the right product, pay a reasonable price and get out.

So the three of us took a drive to K-Mart. I chose K-Mart primarily because it is the closest department store. That solved rule number 1.

Unfortunately, K-Mart failed the remaining requirements.

Upon entering, I was reminded how difficult it is to get around the store. There is no obvious main isle as you walk in so we ended up walking through the women’s underwear department to get to the bedding.

Thanks K-Mart. Make me walk my 7-year-old son through the women’s bras section while some old lady is buying her last Maidenform.

We survived the trip down mammary lane and got to the bedding area. We found the isles a mess and nothing in its place. After a quick scan I realized something odd.

K-Mart didn’t have any flannel sheets.

What department store located in New England doesn’t have flannel sheets in the middle of November?

I took a more thorough scan before I attempted to ask for help. I say I attempted because once I did start to look for some help there was no salesclerk to be found.

So after a few minutes of looking for sheets and salesclerks we gave up, walked back through the bras and left the store.

I wanted these sheets now. You know the whole hunter/gatherer thing. I figured we would try one more store. I drove to Target, which is not much farther away. I should’ve gone to Target first but this store is located in a mall and even I know finding a mall parking spot on a Sunday afternoon is insane.

So we got to the mall and luckily found a parking spot reasonably quick. My apologies to the lady I cut off. We walked in, easily spotted the sign telling us where to go and headed towards the bedding. I immediately spotted a salesclerk.

Yes, I walked straight to the salesclerk for help without even looking first.

She was more than helpful, telling me that the next two isles had flannel sheets on the end caps. Sure enough, there they were. I had multiple patterns of every size and different colors to choose from. Peanut picked a red checkered pattern. I found a twin set for $20, grabbed it and headed for the checkout line.

We had been in the mall for less than 15 minutes and were already headed back to the car with the sheets.

Martha Stewart would have loved my prudent shopping ability…

well, maybe if it was in her store.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous TwoBusy said...

I'd like to say I didn't cackle at the mention of "mammary lane"... but then I'd be lying.

Tue Nov 25, 10:24:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Major Bedhead said...

Target is pretty freakin' awesome. And I thought that before I started working there. You want a tip? Check the end caps at the back end of the aisles - that's where all the clearance goodies are located. You can get some amazing deals there.

I live about a mile from that particular KMart. I don't think I've ever seen such a completely sucktastic store. It takes it to new heights.

Wed Nov 26, 12:02:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

we don't have Kmarts here in san antonio anymore bc they didn't make it. part of the reason they didnt make it is bc of their "suck-taculous" customer service and their 'crap-alicious' stores. (walmart now fills in the void.) target is the place to be - clean, organized and people who are helpful! (wow! what a concept for a store!) =)

Wed Nov 26, 10:12:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

I live in So Cal. What are flannel sheets?

Wed Nov 26, 12:38:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous mom2divas said...

"We survived the trip down mammary lane and got to the bedding area."

I just had to laugh. Ahhh, how I crave going to Target right now. It's my favourite place to shop. Glad it worked out for you.

Wed Nov 26, 01:38:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Womanin a Window said...

hehehe, mammary lane.

OK, now, being in the TRUE north and all (you know, "strong and free") we've so got you beat on the flannel sheets. We resourceful northerners have come out with fleece sheets. Oh ya, baby. It's like climbing into a new fleece lined sweatshirt. Supreme. Funny thing is, we sent some to my brother-in-law and his wife in Ohio. After the first winter we asked them all excited and salivating, "How're yer sheets, eh?" And they said reluctantly, "WeeeEEEll, they're OK, but they're really itchy."
They had them on inside-out.

Have a great Thanksgiving! (Oh, and DUDE, my husband's posturing over here. Are you threatening with the size of your ads?)

Wed Nov 26, 10:29:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous movin' down the road said...

Target is WAY better than Kmart (I think). Good job!

Fri Nov 28, 08:45:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Be thankful that your darling son didn't grab a huge over the shoulder boulder holder and put it on his head while laughing like a lunatic.

Not that I'm speaking from experience or anything...

Sun Nov 30, 01:04:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home