Saturday, October 25, 2008

Thinking Pink


It seems everywhere I look this month, I see the color pink. In most part, this is due to it being National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

On a local level, there is a lot of publicity for a huge awareness walk sponsored by a nearby hospital. Kudos goes out to all who will be participating. There are a few I know personally who will be walking.

This has made me more conscious of something else pink, although no where near as important.

Right after we bought our house, Mrs. Joe and I repainted all the rooms. We had some art with us from the apartment we were in and used one piece per room for a focus. Below is a picture of the master bedroom with the piece we used to focus the room around.






The art is East Bay street in Charleston, SC. Often called Rainbow Row. We spent some of our honeymoon in Charleston. We loved the colors of the houses and found the print in a gallery while we were there.

If you focused your attention to the wall, you would have noticed my dilemma.

Yes, the bedroom walls are pink…

…which was fine while Mrs. Joe was still living here. The room wasn’t meant to be masculine in any way. As you see by the frilly, country style, quilt on the bed with matching pillows.

Mrs. Joe asked if I minded such a feminine bedroom. I didn’t. The way I looked at it was if I got laid on a regular basis in it, I didn’t care what color the room was.

But now with Mrs. Joe gone things are different. Obviously, I need to make the room a little more masculine.

I do not want to spend too much money so I have decided to leave the curtains. I will paint the walls but keep the trim color the same. The quilt is already gone. The comforter I have replaced it with will stay. I will look for a new bedside lamp as well.

So what I need to do is find a new focus point to bring it all together, something to base the new colors around. I’ll look for a different print for the wall or maybe a pillow with a pattern.

Or maybe I’ll hang a deer head, cover the bed with some plaid pattern and throw down a bearskin rug. Give it a cabin feel.

The chicks dig that, right?

Labels: ,

15 Comments:

Blogger Mom 2 Divas said...

Perhaps a self displaying used Samuel Adams Octoberfest bottles in place of the framed art would make the room a little more masculine.:) Glad to see you are making some major changes.

Sat Oct 25, 08:39:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Okay, some advice from one average middle aged guy to another....do NOT hang a dead animal head over your bed. That will not only give you nightmares, but it will mark the end of your sex life as you know it.

Better idea...a collection of prints from The Three Stooges....cause we all know how the women love those guys!

Sat Oct 25, 09:03:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Hanke said...

Paint it a nice khaki - then anything you put on the walls, bed etc. will go. Dart board above the bed? WIth someone's picture centered on the bullseye? I'm sure you can think of someone!

Sun Oct 26, 07:32:00 AM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

Chicks dig you giving a damn and putting in an effort no matter what the outcome is.

This, "Mrs. Joe asked if I minded such a feminine bedroom. I didn’t. The way I looked at it was if I got laid on a regular basis in it, I didn’t care what color the room was." I did the coffee spit in laughter thing.


This, "

Sun Oct 26, 08:58:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Rhea said...

A deer head. lol We have some on our house...but then again, that sort of thing works here in Texas. It's in my dad's room though, not mine. (My elderly father lives with us)

Funny post. Hope you can find a new focus with more masculine colors.

Sun Oct 26, 10:20:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

One word, my friend: Astroturf. No woman can resist the sensual lure of a boudoir with Astroturf walls.

Sun Oct 26, 10:37:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

First you shouldn't be bring girls back to your house. If it goes wrong then they know where you live. Second, if you must decorate try a lava lamp, chicks dig them...

Mon Oct 27, 12:13:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous uumomma said...

i have always been turned on by xmaas lights...

and
velvet paintings..
ya know dogs playing poker or better yet
ELVIS..
yup
id do ya

Mon Oct 27, 01:45:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

But you didn't tell us the colors in your new comforter. I think a nice big canvas print without a frame would look nice.

Mon Oct 27, 08:39:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

I knew exactly what the picture was of. I love Rainbow Row.

Try tan. It's neutral. It goes with anything in the room plus it can be accented with 'MALE' colors like black or softened with 'FEMALE' colors.

Mon Oct 27, 02:55:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Mamapajama said...

OMG, I almost gagged when I saw your pink room, you POOR, POOR man! I would NEVER subject my husband to something so...so...well it screams either grandma or 7yr old girl...dude seriously. The curtains look OK, though I cannot tell what color they are. I like the print over the bed you used for your focal point but can totally understand the need for something new. Though you could always have it rematted with a gray border and matte silver frame to freshen it up. First things first, slap some fresh paint on those ((PINK)) walls, something in a nice soft gray, blue or taupe would work wonders! No offense man, but that headboard gots to go! Get thee to the IKEA in Stoughton and get a nice gender neutral headboard with clean lines. Most of their stuff is durable, inexpensive and designed nicely. No more frou frou for you (and that's coming from a girl)!

Tue Oct 28, 01:25:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

I know where you can find some artwork to focus on!!!! HINT, HINT, HINT!!!!

:0)

Tue Oct 28, 03:26:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

hang a shotgun over the bed? but keep the walls pink. that'll keep the ladies in line

Wed Oct 29, 10:13:00 AM 2008  
OpenID claresdad.com said...

I probably wouldn't have been okay with that room in the first place. Ours is gray but there are some flowery beach pictures to girlie it up a bit.

For a new picture, how about dogs playing poker?

Tue Nov 04, 09:36:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Shamelessly Sassy said...

Have you checked out Etsy for prints yet? They have some really awesome prints on there for low prices. I love Etsy. And about the dead animal hanging over the bed.....

Fri Nov 07, 02:27:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home