Tuesday, October 07, 2008

Blood Red Delicious

It is apple picking time here in New England. Is there any better way to spend an afternoon than walking around a hillside orchard with your 2 beautiful children soaking up the Autumn sun?

How about your estranged wife accompanying you.

Yes, Mrs. Joe invited me to join her along with Peanut & The Champ as they were going to a local farm to pick some apples this past weekend.

We have gone to the same orchard to pick apples for the last couple of years. I had planned on taking the kids this coming weekend. I would be lying if I said I had planned on inviting Mrs. Joe.

She told me the kids asked if I was coming so she decided to call me. Even though I know I was asked to come for the kids, I felt she enjoyed having me there as well. It was nice to spend time together as a family again.

The afternoon went great. The kids had a good time. Mrs. Joe and I got along very well under the circumstances. We picked more apples than we will ever care to eat.

As we were in the orchard, The Champ, placing an apple into the bag, turned to us and asked,

"Are these vampire apples?"

"Vampire apples? What are vampire apples?" I questioned.

"I heard mommy asking if this place had vampire apples."

With a chuckle, Mrs Joe replied, "Empire apples, Champ, Empire."


the apples of my eye

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger womaninawindow said...

Sounds wonderful. Good memory making for the kids.

I'm hoping the apples will be ripe for the picking in Ohio later this week too. Amazing, isn't it, that food grows from trees? I'm a little thick. Things like this still get me.

Tue Oct 07, 08:54:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

It's good doing stuff together for the sake of the kids. Sounds nice.

Wed Oct 08, 12:17:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

good for ya'll for getting along for something like this.

(these are the kinds of things they'll remember.) =)

Wed Oct 08, 08:54:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

How dare you refer to your daughter as Peanut? I have no doubt she is a whole and vibrant person full of thoughts and hopes and dreams, and I for one am profoundly taken aback that you would reduce her to the level of a legume. For shame, sir. For shame!

(Oops -- sorry. I thought I was Anon for a second there. My bad.)

Thu Oct 09, 04:52:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

wicked cute. and good for you, for going apple picking with the ex. I would never do it. (with mine anyway, he is a bastard. Not even for the kids)

Thu Oct 09, 10:12:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Mike said...

Good for you and spending time with the ex. Maybe she'll be more open to things later. Spending time as a family is important at their age...

Fri Oct 10, 01:30:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home