Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Every Morning Is Now Saturday Morning


Respect the classics, man! - Fillmore, from the movie "Cars"

One thing about The Champ as he approaches his seventh birthday is his mastery of the television remote control. Gone are the days of me having to turn on the t.v. and finding the cartoons for him.

Although, one thing that I wish would go is the time he wakes up in the morning. Like clockwork, he still wakes by 6:30. The one saving grace now is that once he wakes up he will go downstairs to the living room, turn on the t.v. and watch some cartoons.

Thankfully, he hasn't found some of the other channels yet.

As I came downstairs Saturday morning, The Champ was in his usual spot. I kissed him good morning and asked him what he was watching.

"Blue's Clues", he replied.

He then followed up with a statement that made me feel like someone dropped an anvil on my head.

"Dad, I found this other cartoon channel and I watched Tom & Jerry."

"Really?" I replied.

"Did you know that Tom & Jerry was around when I was your age?" I told him.

"Yeah, it seemed kinda old-fashioned."

I then added some Metamucil to my coffee, opened up the paper to the obituaries and looked for anybody I knew.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Angie in Texas said...

LOL! that is soooo funny . . . AM mentioned to me the other day that she saw a commercial for tootsie roll lollipops with the owl and i told her the same thing and she was all "OMG! really?! i didn't know it was THAT OLD!" . . . she's grounded 'til 2034. =P

Tue Sep 02, 10:42:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Rubberband said...

my kids love T&J!! We watched it as kids because there wasn't anything on the other 2 channels... why do they watch?

As a big plus, the original cartoons don't have any dialogue - no laughing sponge, no 'say it louder', no 'repeat after me'...

Wed Sep 03, 08:19:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Mike said...

I agree that was funny. It's great when the kids are old enough to fend for themselves in the morning. We used to leave milk in a sippy cup and a bowl of dry cereal for the girls on Saturdays just so the wife and I could get a extra hour in the morning.

Wed Sep 03, 11:41:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

Kind of like the time my son asked "Mommy when you were little did your school only have one room?"

Yes dear and we heated it with a wood stove in the back and fought over who got to pull the rope to ring the bell...

Wed Sep 03, 12:30:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

That is totally funny. You;'re such a geriatric

Wed Sep 03, 01:57:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dan said...

To be fair, Tom and Jerry was around when my dad was a kid too, although granted only in movie theatres

Wed Sep 03, 02:34:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

This was a really fun little bit of wit.

Wed Sep 03, 06:31:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Clare likes Tom and Jerry too. If it's still on in thirty years maybe our grandkids can make the kids feel old...while we're reading the obit section of Facebook.

Thu Sep 04, 10:13:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

I added a ton of Looney Tunes to my Netflix queue after discovering my son had little to no idea who Bugs Bunny was. Thankfully Tom & Jerry is still on TV. :)

Thu Sep 04, 12:10:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

ahahaha! Awesome. My mom always got upset that we would raid her closet when it was "70's day" at school. Just think, one day The Champ might roam through your closet to find 'old fashioned' clothes.

Fri Sep 05, 04:48:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous bejewell said...

By today's standards all the old classics are woefully dated. Smoking, stereotypes, the works.

They. Were. AWESOME.

Fri Sep 05, 09:19:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

At least he hasn't asked you if there were covered wagons when you were little. I loved Tom and Jerry growing up and Bugs Bunny too. I miss the olden days.....

Fri Sep 05, 10:35:00 PM 2008  
Blogger moosh in indy. said...

I just tweeted that my kid is IN LOVE with Tom and Jerry. She's four. Yet she loves it. And I love it, Blues Clues gives me the heebies. Ever since Steve left Joe has irked me.

Mon Sep 08, 08:19:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Just wait until he finds 'Popeye'. Some of those are still in black and white.

Mon Sep 08, 12:34:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home