Thursday, August 28, 2008

Day One


The Champ started 1st grade yesterday. Unfortunately for me, they were with their mother. I was able to see him, though. On the first day, the school greets all the kids together in the gym. The families are asked to attend. The teachers and staff are introduced. It's a good chance to catch up with the other parents after another amazingly short summer.

They are grouped together by grade so I was able to see him interact with the other kids in his class. I recognized most of the kids from last year. It is amazing that kids can be away from each other for two months but pick up right where they left off.

The Champ's teacher is new to the school. Better yet, she's new to a lot seeing this is her first teaching job out of college. I am a little concerned with that. The early grades are so important and to have such an inexperienced teacher worries me.

The backpack he chose this year was Speed Racer. Last year it was Cars. When did new school clothes and supplies include a new backpack?

Mrs. Joe and I had nothing to say to each other. Probably for the best. She talked with some of the other moms while I spent some time with Peanut.

So another school year is underway and the summer begins to draw to a close. I hope this change keeps his mind from wondering about his mother and me. I would much rather help him with his math or reading instead of trying to explain why mommy and daddy are still fighting.



already planning for recess

Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

I HATE being at school events when my exhusband is there. Mainly because no one knows how to act, knowing we are exes. And most people know me since we live 45 min from him...this is my neighborhood. I always welcome him to every event, pick them up from school, bring them the first day, whatever. I also tend to back up when he makes it because it isnt every day he is available to do so. But I totally know how weird it is when you are standing there at your kids' school with your ex and your kids and not sure if you should sit together, or dont sit together and then everyone'[s noticing, agh. I could go on. It gets easier though. We sit together now believe it or not. For the kids.

Thu Aug 28, 10:19:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

Joe,

Au contraire on the new teacher--brand new, right out of college translates to enthusiastic, energetic, 100% effort and excitement about her first group of kids on her own. Remember that she will have student taught for 2 years at this point, but now this is her year to SHINE--and your child gets the benefit of a non-jaded, not-yet-burned out or cynical teacher who's been there, done that. I think it will be a GREAT experience!

Fri Aug 29, 07:48:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

First -
I'm so impressed that you went. With my experience as the child of divorce, I'm still overwhelmed when parents do it right.

To Stepping ove the junk - Thank you for doing it for the kids. They will remember it as a gift. Other parents notice it too and are impressed with your priorities, believe me.

I agree wit Amy, the first year teacher will be full of enthusiasm and love for each child. She will truly want to see each child succeed and is most likely there because she TRULY wants to teach children. You'll be glad The Champ had her.

Good luck with this brand new school year.

Fri Aug 29, 08:00:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Ben and Bennie said...

We have 7 backpacks now for my daughter with only the newest in use. Now Ben has about 7 he takes with him everywhere he goes.

Seriously Joe, you are doing this thing right. You are a hero in my book by putting the kids ahead of your emotions. That ain't easy to to do.

Fri Aug 29, 11:50:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Angie in Texas said...

you get points from me for:
1. making the kids #1 on your priority list
2. being relatively civil to 'her'
3. not totally losing it and going over to where she was and smackin' her in the face or
4. showing up in a t-shirt that said: "mrs. joe's a cheater' or "mrs. joe cheated and all i got was this stupid t-shirt"

you're a good man . . .

Fri Aug 29, 06:10:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

I have fond memories of frist grade. I met my best friend in the world in that classroom! That's 20+ years we have been friends now. I hope Champ enjoys every minute of school.

And Joe, you enjoy it as well. You seem to be doing a great job at that despite the circumstances.

(lol to angie's shirt idea).

Fri Aug 29, 06:44:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

So nice that you could be there. I ache for you guys. Don't know why life has to be so hard.

Fri Aug 29, 09:09:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Mike said...

Congratulations on both of you for putting the kids first. I agree with stepping over the junk in that time will make this easier. My ex and I now sit together and converse about the kids. We've learned not to dwell our conversations into other places. Time will make it easier. Patience...

Sun Aug 31, 02:59:00 PM 2008  
Blogger creative kerfuffle said...

(i followed you from comments on susie wears the pants)
i agree--new teachers are great. my youngest is in 3rd grade this year. his kindergarten teacher was a newbie and she was awesome (he lucked out and got her in 1st grade cos she moved up). 2nd grade he got an experienced teacher, been at it 10-15 yrs. midway through the year she freaked out (literally) and they had subs the rest of the year. i say whoohoo for the fresh young ones.

Wed Sep 03, 10:43:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

Dude, Cars is so last school year. Your boy doesn't need that kind of pressure.

Thu Sep 04, 02:39:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Good luck to the Champ in first grade. Are those sneakers on the boys? They're not allowed at Clare's school.

Thu Sep 04, 10:10:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home