Monday, July 14, 2008

Not Too Much Of Some Good Things

Mrs. Joe had the kids this weekend so I was able to get some work done around the house. The lawn needed mowing, the bushes needed trimming, the rugs needed to be vacuumed along with a few batches of laundry.

As you can imagine, the idea of camping on the couch with a few beers watching the Red Sox never materialized.

I got most of the work taken care of on Saturday because I knew I had plans yesterday. Myself, GBD and a few friends went to a cookout at a friend of her's house. She came over early and she showed me how to make the taco salad that we took to the cookout. I've learned taco salad is like sausage, it tastes good but you don't want to see it made.

I learned that this cookout has happened once a year for over ten years. The best part was the host is a drummer in a few local bands. He gets them and a few other bands to play at his house for the day.

We showed up to find almost a hundred people in lawn chairs or sitting on blankets listening to some good music. With that many people, you can imagine how much food there was. The beer was supplied as well. I enjoyed a couple #9s from Magic Hat Brewing Co. as well as a few Blue Moon Belgian White Ales.

It turned out to be another great time out with GBD.

I haven't mentioned the birthday present she got me yet, either. Before I left for vacation, she showed up with one of these.
First, let me say I am completely behind the times when it comes to anything iPod. I had not bought any music in years and the last CD player I used broke about 2 years ago. I told her this was way too much of a gift but she would have none of it. I downloaded iTunes and have spent too much money on songs for it. I also added a bunch of songs from my CDs. I even bought an adapter for my car's tape deck (yes, my car doesn't even have a CD player) so I could listen to it in my car.

I didn't realize how great this little thing is. I used it all afternoon Saturday while I was picking up the house and as I mowed the lawn. It is amazing how they can fit 250 songs (it's the 1gig) on something this small.

With a gift like that and the good times we have shared, it's tough not to think about things getting serious between us. We have talked off and on about what we have together. We still are at the same conclusion that it will stay where it is, two friends enjoying time together, helping one another with their problems and the occasional missteps. We both know this relationship is built on shaky ground to say the least. With a possible end at every corner.

But for me, right now, it's all I got.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

I hear ya. You;re doin' good. Good perspective.

Mon Jul 14, 11:01:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

Sounds like a seriously quality afternoon. And that burger looks freaken delicious!

enjoy...

Tue Jul 15, 10:49:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Once again, it sounds like you've got your head on straight. Good for you -- and good work on the #9s.

Mmm... beer.

Wed Jul 16, 11:40:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Magic Hat #9 is one of my favorites.

You'll have to do the iPod meme sometime.

Thu Jul 17, 01:38:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Just catching up with you, Joe.

Sounds like you've got your head on tight.

Mon Jul 28, 06:12:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home