Tuesday, July 29, 2008

I’ve Always Been A Breast Man


Breasts and loins.

I’ve learned there’s a difference.

In chicken, I mean.

In my ongoing attempts to learn how to cook I made a slight misstep this weekend. I was at the meat counter Friday after work deciding what I wanted to make myself for dinner this weekend and I wanted to try something new. I survived my own hot dogs, hamburgers, steak and even pork chops, all without a problem.

I decided to try to grill some chicken. I have been a little nervous about chicken. Unlike steak, it seemed difficult to tell if it is fully cooked or not so I have stayed away from it. But I felt a little brave with my past successes.

Besides, I didn’t have the kids this weekend so if I got salmonella or something I could have handled it alone without having to explain to the kids why daddy was throwing up all over them.

So I got home, turned on the grill and opened a bottle of Magic Hat’s Hocus Pocus. I took the package of chicken out of the fridge, opened it and promptly learned a lesson.

Chicken tenderloins are not chicken breasts.

Before, Mrs. Joe would buy boneless, skinless chicken breasts. She would either marinate them or just cover them with BBQ sauce. So as I stood at the meat counter, I picked up a package of chicken. They looked like breasts and they were skinless so into the basket they went.

I decided not to try the tenderloins. Too risky. I put the package back into the fridge and took out a rib eye.

Considering the mistake I made, maybe the steak should’ve been a rump roast.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Mamapajama said...

You can still cook the tenderloins like reg. chicken breasts. Just marinate them with a little italian dressing, throw them on the grill, spitz w/ olive oil so they don't crispify (unless you dig that), and cook on low until the meat isn't pink in the middle anymore. I usually check the thickest piece as a base for determining wether all the pieces of chicken are done. If the tenderloins are too small for the slates in the grill, you can always put them on a wooden skewer. MMMM...chicken on a stick! (My kids love that too)Just don't forget to soak the wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes before putting the meat on, or they'll burn like matchsticks (found that one out the hard way). Good luck man, I hate cooking too, grilling or otherwise, but sometimes it can be fun to experiment.

Tue Jul 29, 12:50:00 PM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

I'm paranoid about chicken too. Those boneless skinless breasts and tenderloins boil very quickly. I boil mine, then cover them with the marinade and grill them for a few minutes. This gives them the grilled flavor but still calms my paranoid tendencies.
Good for you for branching out.

Tue Jul 29, 04:50:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

Ah, anyone can grill better than me. I even goofed up sausages last weekend...don't ask.

haha, funny chicken with boobies...

Tue Jul 29, 09:37:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Mamapajama beat me to it. The answer is skewers, my friend. Grab a plastic bag in the morning, put in your chicken, pour some supermarket teriyaki sauce over it, close up the bag (squeezing out the air), and then put it in a bowl and let it sit in your fridge all day. When you get home from work, pull it out, feed it onto skewers along with some sliced summer squash and red onions, and throw 'em on the grill.

Boom: dinner is served.

Be not afraid.

Wed Jul 30, 09:50:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Others have already spilled the beans...go grill those tenderloins! They are yummy. And don't hesitate to experiment when the kids are around. Just have a can of ravioli on hand...just in case.

Wed Jul 30, 10:57:00 AM 2008  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

See this is exactly why I eat my chicken from a bucket

Wed Jul 30, 03:58:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Jules said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Jul 30, 07:36:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Come on! Just get something and throw it on the grill. You don't need to know exactly what it is.

Thu Jul 31, 12:50:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home