Thursday, July 10, 2008

Affecting Us All


Sorry for the large gap between posts. With vacation last week and catching up around the house, it’s been hectic.

Our vacation to Cape Cod was good. It was nice to see my in-laws. They were happy to see the kids. The weather cooperated most of the time. We spent our days at the beach, both bay side and ocean side. Watching them chase the tides out and scramble back before getting wet was special. The bay side allows Peanut & The Champ to have more fun in the water without me worrying about them being taken out to sea.

There is also a freshwater pond close by that the kids love to go to. It’s was good in that I worked on teaching The Champ how to swim. I knew how to swim at his age but that was because my grandparents had a pool. The Champ isn’t so lucky. I wish Mrs. Joe would look into swimming lessons at the Y seeing she has a family membership but I have no control over that.

My in-laws were as nice as ever. I tried not to bitch about Mrs. Joe but some times it got the better of me. Some of you remembered my birthday is July 4th. Well, when Mrs. Joe called to talk to the kids that day, she couldn't even toss out a “Happy Birthday” to me.

It gets easier every day.

I had a few conversations with my mother-in-law after the kids went to bed. We have always got along, at times better with me than with her daughter. She told me how upset she is about everything that is going on. We tried to make sense of it all but in the end we just became frustrated. It’s sad to hear how others are affected by all of this. Although we didn’t have much success, I think our talks were good.

As we were leaving Monday morning, my mother-in-law handed me a small box of chocolates from the little candy store in town. She asked me to give it to Mrs. Joe. Included was a postcard inviting her to come out to the beach house with the kids. As I dropped the kids with Mrs. Joe, I gave her the gift, telling her it was from her mother. I don’t know if she will take her up on the offer but I think it will be good for all if she did.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Pgoodness said...

I sorry it gets easier every day; and glad for you as well. It's a crappy spot to be in.

Sounds like the vacation was good for all 3 of you though!!

Thu Jul 10, 09:52:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

Such complicated times. Such deep felt wounds. Above Average Joe, you seem like such as nice guy...such a nice guy.

Thanks for the comment over at my place. Your story about the Victorian house floored me. I continue to be naive about the brutality of the world. These houses and lives that can be torn to the ground in an afternoon. Shocking and yet, somehow, lovely too.

Fri Jul 11, 07:14:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Sorry I missed your birthday, AAJ. It does sound like you did receive a nice gift anyways.

Fri Jul 11, 11:10:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

A belated happy birthday to you.

I'm glad your time at the beach was nice. It is good you have the in-laws in your corner. I imagine it is hard for them to see their daughter make such lousy choices.

You continue to be in my thoughts.

Fri Jul 11, 11:52:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

Belated Happy Birthday.

At least, when the dust settles, you and your in-laws will still be on good terms, hence your kids will benefit from that.

I must admit, I didn't say Happy Birthday to my ex back in June... but I did buy a card for him on our daughter's behalf and helped her sign it. But then... my ex is nothing like you.

It will get easier. And your kids still have you as their stability, their rock.

Fri Jul 11, 01:24:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Happy belated birthday!

Glad to hear that the vacation was good. Someone (she probably won't listen to you) should suggest to Mrs. Joe that the kids take swimming lessons. When kids love the water, they're likely to run right into it. Knowing how to swim obviously helps.

Fri Jul 11, 01:48:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Happy Late Birthday.
Glad to hear your trip was fun.
Sounds like the kids had fun with Gramma and Grampa too.
Keep going as long as they keep inviting.

Fri Jul 11, 06:54:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

Well. It sounds like it was a good thing for you and the children to go and you should be proud to have such a relationship with your inlaws. Welcome home, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Sun Jul 13, 02:04:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Glad to hear you and the kids had a good time on the Cape. And your in-laws sound like remarkably level-headed people... this must be very difficult for them, as well, but I'm glad they're not blinded to the reality of what's going on by a misguided sense of loyalty.

Happy belated birthday (lifting a pint in your direction)...

Mon Jul 14, 11:38:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

So glad you enjoyed your vacation. What wonderful in laws you seem to have. It is kinda sad that it gets easier every day. I hate that there are women and men out there who make the rest of us look bad.

Fri Jul 18, 10:52:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home