Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Did He Open The Phone Book, Close His Eyes And Point?

One of the last things Mrs. Joe and I did with the kids before she moved out was to reward The Champ for a good report card. We started with dinner at Applebee's where the kids dined on grilled cheeses and fries and enjoyed ice cream for dessert.

Although dinner wasn't the reward he asked for, I figured we would go out for dinner first. At the time I thought spending time as a family would show Mrs. Joe the enormous mistake she was making

Obviously, it didn't work.

Anyway, after dinner we went to Wal-Mart to get The Champ what he asked for. Now you think to yourself that he asked for a toy. Maybe a Spider-Man action figure or some Hot Wheels play set.

You would be wrong.

Or you might think he wanted a new baseball glove or soccer ball.

Wrong again.

The correct answer would be that he wanted a pet. Yes, a pet, from Wal-Mart. He seen it one day with Mrs. Joe and begged for one from then on. We told him if he got a good report card we would take him to Wal-Mart and he could pick one out.

And what kind of pet did he ask for?


Yes, a fish.

Apparently Wal-Mart sells fish. I don't look at it as I bought The Champ a fish from Wal-Mart as much as I rescued a fish from Wal-Mart.

Some people adopt greyhounds from the dogtracks, I rescue bettas from low price box stores.

Either way that is what he wanted and that is what he got. The fish stayed behind after Mrs. Joe moved out. The Champ is responsible to feed him the days he is here. We change the water together and he decorates the tank. I told The Champ to name him but he could not come up with anything at first. He finally got around to giving it a name last week.

And the name The Champ chose?

Ester.

Yes, Ester.

Don't ask me where it came from. The Champ says he doesn't know. I figure the fish should not complain about a name like Ester.

He could still be at Wal-Mart.


Labels:

11 Comments:

Anonymous stepping over the junk said...

I cant stop laughing at your finale idea here..."he could still be at walmart". heh

Tue Jun 03, 11:54:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

I had no idea Wal-Mart sold fish either. 'Course, I don't get to "The Wal" that often. Better a fish than a rodent, that's for sure!

Wed Jun 04, 07:15:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

I saved some fish from walmart recently. Unfortunately someone should have saved them from my tank. My fish took a ride down the toilet tube water slide...

Wed Jun 04, 08:49:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Is that some kind of oblique reference to Esther Williams?

Wed Jun 04, 08:49:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

I, unfortunately, knew Wal-Mart sold fish. What does that say about me...?

and I have my new tag line for the week..."Things could be worse, I could still be at Wal-Mart."

I'm glad Ester found a nice home.

Wed Jun 04, 09:20:00 AM 2008  
Blogger angie said...

i don't mean to be a downer, but are you sure that's a beta? it kind of looks like a different kind of fish the name of which is escaping me right now. (i just googled it: a black moor - and not othello either.)

Wed Jun 04, 12:55:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

I think most fish would rather see the inside of a toilet bowl than another day at Wal*Mart, but then, what do I know?

Wed Jun 04, 05:33:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

That is a lot of fun. What a neat kid! And Ester looks completely happy to be in your bowl...

Wed Jun 04, 06:24:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Yay for Ester. Our Walmart fish didn't last too long. Hopefully, Ester is a little hardier.

Wed Jun 04, 09:12:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

Sadly, we lost two Wal-Mart fish here. We finally gave up. Having your son help with the care of this fish is definitely good. I make my daughter feed and water HER cat.

Wed Jun 04, 11:06:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Ester.

Heh.

Could be worse. He could have picked EARLENE.

I still hate my parents for that. And I'm not a fish.

Thu Jun 05, 11:37:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home