Saturday, May 03, 2008

Take A Hike

Thankfully, this post will not be mentioning anything about my separation with Mrs. Joe.

Well, just that once.

Anyway, I wanted to get Peanut and The Champ outdoors and do something fun. Something new. Something we could do every once in awhile. I decided we would go for a hike in the woods. Western Massachusetts has its fair share of woods so we could go to different places each time to keep it exciting to the kids.

I looked into the local parks and reservations and decided to take them to the Mt. Tom State Reservation this past Saturday. It's located in Holyoke, MA. An old New England mill town known for its paper mills back 100 years ago.

The park isn't much, just the mountain. It is mostly wooded with hiking and skiing trails, some areas to fish and a couple picnic pavilions. I had not been there in at least ten years.

We parked the car and began our hike up to Goat's Peak. It has a great view northwest. I must confess, this wasn't really a "hike". The path is really an old road that had been closed off to cars. I was concerned for Peanut because it was almost a mile and I wasn't sure if her little legs could handle it so we took a jogging stroller just in case.

The kids absolutely loved the walk. I figured they would get bored about half way at best and I'd be pushing Peanut in the stroller while The Champ would be complaining about his legs being tired. I tried my best to keep it interesting. We talked about the trees and the animals that lived in the woods. They got pretty excited about the view I told them about.

When we got to Goat's Peak, this is what they saw.


This is looking northwest with a view of the Connecticut river. Interstate 91 is on the right.

This is looking more north with Northampton, MA in the background.


About halfway back down Peanut finally got into the stroller. The Champ made the entire walk without complaint.


My little adventurers


On our way back down, I asked them if they wanted to do it again. I said we could try a smaller trail without a paved road next time. They both said yes so we will see about heading back into the woods next week.

In thanks to you for joining me and my little adventurers on our hike up to Goat's Peak, I give you each one of these.


Paper City Brewery's Goat's Peak Bock Spring Lager. Paper City Brewery is located in an old mill in Holyoke and they brew this in honor the the peak I shared with you.

Enjoy.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger angie said...

thanks for the brew. (*i love that the kids are wearing jackets . . . you NE-erners are nuts!)


=)


Seriously though, my kids love to run around freely in the park - way better than sitting around playing video games or going to some awful pizza joint with a nasty rat . . .

Sun May 04, 10:05:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Nature hikes are great! Sounds like they learned something too.

Sun May 04, 10:12:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Childsplayx2 said...

Awesome. I'm looking forward to my kids being old enough to do stuff like that.

Looks like everyone had fun. And thanks for the beer!

Sun May 04, 11:32:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

(opening bottle, raising in a toast)

Thanks for the beer. And that sounds like a great time -- I've been meaning to get my own kids out for a hike, but the weather's been crappy every weekend. Hopefully I'll get the chance to imitate you next Sunday...

Mon May 05, 08:55:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

What a precious picture of your two kids walkign hand-in-hand.
Looks like it was a great time.

Mon May 05, 11:01:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Great pictures but ditto on your two little one's holding hands.

Mon May 05, 12:52:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

What an awesome view from up top. And a great moment to capture of the two little ones.

Mon May 05, 02:13:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Amy said...

Pac (pack?) Manadonock in the fall! It's called "little Manadonock" and it's totally doable with kids, as long as you have my secret weapon with you: Lots and Lots and LOTS of food. The view from the top is incredible.

I went with my kids when they were your kids age and we watched beavers building a dam for about an hour. Really fun.

Mon May 05, 08:05:00 PM 2008  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

There was an audible awwww from this blogger as I saw Peanut and The Champ holding hands. Seriously, that is adorable!

Mon May 05, 10:26:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

That looks great. Clare's Mom just asked me what I wanted to do for my birthday on Saturday and I said we should go for a hike. I'm not sure Clare will be into it though.

Tue May 06, 09:28:00 AM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

Argh, my computer's a mess and I can't see the photos. But good for you. Some of the best memories for any kid has its roots outside.

Thu May 08, 06:24:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home