Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'm A Cowboy, On The Sidelines I Ride


The spring soccer season has finally arrived here at our house, with an added twist.

Two weeks ago, we got a phone call from the league director telling us there was a meeting scheduled before the season would get started. The Champ and I attended the meeting and found out his team needed a volunteer to coach.

Lucky for me, I’m short and was standing in the back of the room.

Not that I wouldn't mind coaching, I just did not think I knew enough about soccer to coach 5 & 6 year olds. I soon found out it didn't matter. The unlucky dad that happened to be in the front volunteered to coach. He pointed out his minimal knowledge of the sport but the league director said it was okay and he could show him simple drills he could run with the kids.

He admitted at that age you really just need to herd them into the right direction, kind of like cattle.

Hearing all of that, I figured I should at least offer to be an assistant. I was immediately accepted so that made me the assistant coach to The Champ’s soccer team.

If this spaghetti western only stopped there.

This weekend we had our first games. We were only able to have one practice last week. Only six kids showed up for the one practice out of a roster of ten. We ran the drills that were shown to us and the kids had fun. The coach and I were thankful that nobody broke anything before the first game.

I can’t say the same for the coaching staff.

The Champ’s first game was Saturday and as we were waiting for the earlier game to finish, up comes the head coach.

On crutches, thanks to a broken foot received the day before at work.

That left me, the greenhorn, the one who played organized soccer to the ripe old age of 10, to run the sidelines.

We did pretty well this past weekend. Even though the same 6 kids showed up and had to play the whole game. They scored 5 goals on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. Better yet, they had fun. We have games until the end of June. The head coach will probably be lame until then so I’ll be the one running after these little calves.

I wonder if they will let me bring my lasso.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Monika said...

I am sure you find some great literature on "herding" at your public library! Glad you gave it a try.

Wed May 21, 10:35:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Is it a magic lasso?

Wed May 21, 01:30:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

It's fun to be involved, isn't it, even reluctantly? This from the mom who watched the last soccer game here from the front seat of her car nudged up to the field. It was hailing for god's sake! What did my kids expect? I opened the door and shouted A LOT!

Wed May 21, 06:38:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Way to go, Coach! I was an assistant coach once, as well. I won't say it was fun...but it was interesting.

Wed May 21, 08:14:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Charlotta-love said...

Watching little league is hilarious. I think you described it perfectly. I can always tell where the ball is in little league. It's surrounded by 20 children. Ahhhh...have fun!

Thu May 22, 12:34:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Good job coach. At this age it is less about instruction and more about getting out and having fun.

Fri May 23, 11:11:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I'm a coach for both my kids teams...head coach for the girls under 14 team and an assistant with my son's under 14 team.

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing but I do regularly ask them if they have piano's tied to their arses and threaten them with my cattle prod.

They LOVE me.

Seriously.

I'm a cool coach.

Now if only I could figure out how to get them to win.

Wed May 28, 11:32:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home