Tuesday, May 13, 2008

A Higher Power At Work?


We found ourselves in a place Saturday night knowing we probably should not have been.

But we were having a great time.

We didn't want it to end.

The restaurant was new and I got reservations by chance.

Our table was in the center where we could people watch and comment.

She enjoyed her 2 glasses of shiraz.

I enjoyed my 2 pints of a local spring brew.

The thought of shrimp with a bittersweet chocolate sauce as an appetizer teased us into ordering it. It was pretty good.

She enjoyed her citrus salsa shrimp.

My fruit barbecue chicken was good too.

The conversation was seamless and flowing, exposing the many things we have in common.

Our wonderful children, our similar hobbies.

We debated as well.

She can’t understand why I do not enjoy Dylan.

We finished dinner, noted how nice the evening was and went back to our own cars, to our houses, our own lives.

In the end, she will not leave her husband. Her decision is to keep the family together. It's better that way. I know what we are doing is all it will be.

My decision to end my marriage is opposite. My life with my kids, without Mrs. Joe seems for the best.

But I sit here now, wondering a few things.

Did somebody bring her into my life to show me someone staying in an unhappy marriage?

Did somebody bring me into her life to show her what a happier life she could be having if she left?

Could it be that we were brought together to help each other?

Or are we just two married people having an affair?

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Wow. Deep stuff. And brilliant prose, my friend. In my opinion I wouldn't call it an affair. Perhaps a Friendship to Remember?

Tue May 13, 02:08:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Em said...

Very powerful. And very honest. And I do think things happen for a reason. Not that some pre-ordained hand brought the two of you together. But at the same time, I think things happen and we always have the chance to observe and learn from them.

Tue May 13, 02:45:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

Kismet? Sure, it could happen.

Great post, and I agree with ben & bennie, I wouldn't call that an affair unless it went further than it did.

Tue May 13, 03:56:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

I don't think of you as married. Is that wrong? But she is married. I think it's all about resolve, I suppose. There's always a lesson though. Sometimes it takes years to see it. Glad the eats were good. Nicely written. Thought it was leading somewhere else...

Tue May 13, 05:52:00 PM 2008  
Blogger angie said...

not an affair . . . unless you had more than dessert . . .

i believe in other forces, kismet, fate, faith . . . good to know you're seeing it - most people are blind.

Tue May 13, 06:49:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Pgoodness said...

having a female friend does not an affair make.

kismet, fate, whatever - listen to your instincts and your heart. she sounds like a nice person to at least have around right now.

Tue May 13, 09:50:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Dinner. Just dinner. And a lot of food for thought.

Nicely done.

Wed May 14, 02:08:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Daddy Parenting Tips said...

I believe in the answer that "we were brought together to help one another and to know that we are both human and need each other." The last part needs the most resolve and it can get frustrating when the haystack gets messy and you do not know where to start. When that happens, a nice wine and a fling makes us feel much better. But, do not give up. You are asking the right questions. At least you would know what you want and seek after A Higher Power at Work and understand the work at hand. Sorry if this is heavily biased with faith and believe in God.

I am newly married with a baby and things seem resolved at 80% now. Lots of arguments but I am trying. Hails from Tokyo and maybe the more submissive culture makes a slight difference too but having 2 stubborn and intelligent people living together will see many unresolved issues. Or maybe we just need to learn to be humble and let go.

http://daddyparentingtips.blogspot.com/

Sat May 17, 10:40:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

Shrimp with chocolate sauce... that does sound curious... yet tempting. Perhaps like your situation...

It is, at the moment, a friendship - one that seems to be helping you. Whatever it may be, whether there's a bigger reason for its existence or not, I think it's keeping your spirits up... and that, I think, is wonderful in itself.

Mon May 19, 02:34:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Stepping over the Junk said...

wow. I gotta read back a bit here. this was powerful.

Tue May 20, 11:16:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home