Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Celebrating A Child’s Innocence


Happy Birthday, Peanut.

Today Peanut turns 3 years old. We celebrated her birthday with our families and some friends on Monday with a party at Mrs. Joe’s. It was our first function since the separation. Although there was much tension between Mrs. Joe & I, everybody seemed to take things in stride.

Peanut received all the gifts a princess should get. A Dora puzzle, Barbie dolls, a toy camera, a Care Bear. The kids enjoyed pizza, juice boxes and ice cream cake. The adults enjoyed pizza and cake too, along with the season’s first bottles of Sam Adams Summer Ale.

Mrs. Joe & I agreed to split up the cost evenly. I offered to host the party but she said she would. No need to argue, I thought. This is about our daughter, not us. Although windy, the day and the party turned out very nice.

I will assume in time events like this will become easier for me to handle. I did my best to be nice. I’d like to think Mrs. Joe did the same.

Besides, the day wasn’t about us, it was about a little girl.

A little girl who is celebrating only her 3rd birthday.

A little girl who’s entire life is before her.

A little girl who’s world in some ways has been turned upside down.

And luckily, she doesn’t even know it.

Labels: , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger womaninawindow said...

I think that little girl is lucky to have to...level headed and full hearted.

Wed May 28, 07:40:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Happy birthday, little one.

Wed May 28, 08:44:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Peanut is a lucky girl to have you as her daddy.

I hope this is a great year for her...And you too.

Wed May 28, 11:21:00 AM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

However Mrs. Joe chooses to behave during all of this, your children will thank you for being the one who put their feelings first - when they can view all of this through adult eyes.
I am a child of divorce and my dad died 6 weeks ago. Even during his illness and death, my mother could not stop spewing venom about him. You are giving your children a precious gift by handling this the way you are. I know it's very difficult, but I admire you for it.

Oh, and happy birthday to your sweet girl.

Wed May 28, 03:10:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

Happy birthday to Peanut!

I had the Sam's summer on draft last night. Good stuff.

Wed May 28, 08:16:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Godless Sunday said...

Happy Birthday. Such a sweet post.

Wed May 28, 11:12:00 PM 2008  
Blogger angie said...

happy belated birthday to the peanut.

truly you gift to her is being the best dad to her.

Thu May 29, 10:06:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Happy Birthday, Peanut.

Fri May 30, 08:43:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Natural Momma said...

Great post.. learning to do things together for the sake of the kids, even when you're apart, is a dang hard thing to do. Awsome that you put Peanut first.

Fri May 30, 09:50:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

Happy birthday, Peanut!

And here's to you for keeping things steady for her...

Sat May 31, 02:42:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

I am a divorced mother. My daughter was 11 months old when we separated. I invited her dad to her birthday party, but he refused to come. How very mature to make the right decision for your daughter. I allowed my daughter's dad to spend Christmas with us this year. It was the hardest and best Christmas ever. It was the first time him and I had been in the same house for Christmas that my daughter has ever had. While I know we will never reconcile, I don't regret having him here. Hang in there, it does get easier, it just takes time. Happy Birthday to your girl!

Sat May 31, 10:37:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home