Friday, May 30, 2008

Already Chasing The Ladies


So with spring in full swing, I am doing my best to keep Peanut & The Champ busy outdoors. Not that I let them spend the winter in front of the television watching cartoons, I just think it is better for them to be outside if the weather is nice.

We live on a small side street with only four houses. Unless you live on my street or visiting someone who does, there is no reason for you to be on it. With that, I let Peanut & The Champ ride their bikes in the street as long as they stay away from the ends. I also make sure The Champ keeps an eye on his sister.

Last fall, I tried to convince The Champ that we should take the training wheels off of his bike. He wasn't too interested so I didn't push the issue. A few times over the winter, I told him he was going to learn to ride his bike without the training wheels once the weather got better. He seemed to want to try it but you could tell he had reservations.

So spring came but with everything going on I had yet to address the training wheel issue.

Then Mia came over.

Mia is a little girl who lives across the street from us. She is the same age as The Champ but goes to a different school. Her parents are either separated or divorced, I’m not sure. Her mom works full time and they are not home that much. The kids have only played together a few times but since the nicer weather has begun, Mia & The Champ have been outside riding their bicycles. Mia’s bike is a little different than The Champ’s.

Hers does not have any training wheels.

The Champ was usually seen following behind Mia. He would try to keep up but the training wheels seem to hold him back. He did not say anything to me at first but after a couple of days, The Champ started hinting to me about taking them off.

This past Saturday, The Champ was outside riding his bike with Peanut but Mia was not home. I noticed the training wheels were pushed up high and he was pedaling along fine without the use of the wheels to keep his balance.

I grabbed a wrench and took them off.

And with one good push, off he went without the help of the training wheels.

He spent the next hour or so riding his bike along our street without the training wheels. He was back out there the next day, riding around as well. He has fallen a few times but for the most part I am amazed at how easily he has picked it up.

Unfortunately since then, Mia has not been around. He has asked repeatedly to go and see if she is home. I know he wants to show her how he can ride his bike like she can.

So now another lesson, for him to be learned and for me reminded.

Boys will always chase the girls, no matter what age.

The problem for me is what to say to him when he catches one.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

Hurrah for the Champ!

Do you think he could teach me how to do it? Training wheels at 32 is a little embarasing (although I don't care what anyonesays, I'm not taking off my Ben-10 wheel clackers for no-one!).

Fri May 30, 08:07:00 PM 2008  
Blogger HW said...

What a sweet story!

Hip Hip Hooray for NO training wheels.

Fri May 30, 09:48:00 PM 2008  
Blogger womaninawindow said...

This is so much fun. Learning to ride your bike is such a rite of passage AND it's great a little scary to see how easily they want to keep up with thier friends.
I love that photo! There's always a nostaligia associated with bike riding, regardless of the decade.

Sat May 31, 06:52:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Susiewearsthepants said...

Nothing like the ladies to motivate a guy!

Sat May 31, 10:49:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

As Susie said, nothing motivates a young man to new heights of reckless, daredevil behavior like the opportunity to pointlessly show off for a pretty girl.

Good thing we grow out of it.

(rolling eyes)

Mon Jun 02, 03:49:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

My son is all about showing off for the ladies.

I just keep my mouth shut and roll my eyes.

Until he learns how to drive.

Then I'll bring out the big guns and show him my birthing video. I'm hoping that will terrorize him into remembering that it's okay to show off for the girls, just as long as he never CATCHES one.

If you know what I mean.

Thu Jun 05, 11:33:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Kady said...

Adorable. Thanks for sharing that story.

Thu Jun 12, 01:39:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home