Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Sushi Roll Reversal


Last week, I wrote about my night at The Producers with GBD (Great Blind Date). I mentioned how much fun we had and how good a night it was.

During that night, I mentioned to her that I worked for a Japanese company. I told her every now and then I have to go out to dinner with guests from Japan. She asked if I had ever had sushi. I told her no, most of the time we went to a nearby steakhouse. I soon learned she is a big sushi fan.

The next day when I got home from work, I checked my answering machine and GBD was on it. She thanked me for taking her to the show and said she had a good time. She also said after all that sushi talk she had a craving for an eel roll and asked if I wanted to go out one night for some.

Now the reason I have for not trying sushi is simple.

The thought of eating raw fish is not appealing. Give me a nice steak, medium rare with some red potatoes drenched in olive oil and I am all set.

Sushi? Not so much.

But I do like trying new things. I also remembered how much fun I had the other night so I called her back and said yes.

We went out this past Wednesday night. The restaurant we went to is also a hibachi style steakhouse so I ordered a beef and scallop dinner while GBD ordered sushi. I agreed to at least try some of her sushi if she agreed not to laugh at me if I threw it all up.

GBD ordered 3 different sushi rolls. Sweet potato, eel and another that I can’t remember. I tried all three. The sweet potato and eel was okay. They were at least warm. The third one was cold and let’s just say I don’t care for cold sushi and leave it at that. I have to admit, sushi has some of the most distinct tastes I have ever tried.

We had more time that night to get to know each other. I told her a little more about me. I was honest about where Mrs. Joe and I were and how I am not looking for any type of serious relationship at this time. I then asked her to tell me a little bit about herself. I knew she had two kids but I was a little curious about the “complicated” situation.

Come to find out, she doesn’t have a boyfriend after all.

She’s married.

She tried to explain the situation. “I do what I want, he does what he wants.”

As she is going on about her unhappy marriage, I realized that I am him, I am the guy that Mrs. Joe is running around with, the other man, the home wrecker.

Nice.

We finished dinner and joined some friends a local bar for a couple drinks. I would love to say that after her revelation I lost interest in her but I didn’t. We all joked and laughed until past midnight. The two of us have a lot in common. Other than both being married, I mean.

We have no plans on going out again but I do admit I would look forward to it if we were to. As of now, I’ve decided to wait until she calls me and see where it leads.

Is there a Japanese translation for hypocrite?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger womaninawindow said...

Wow. Life sure is not very straight forward out there, is it? I might have her explain why it is that he does his thing and she hers. Seems a little strange to me but then I'm a boring, monogomous, in bed by 10apus. Sushi sucks. I think people are just pretending not realizing that everyone else who likes it is pretending, too. Glad you had fun, though.

Sun Apr 20, 08:40:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

No, dude. You would be a hypocrite if you'd known she was married when you first went out with her. To this point, you've done nothing that would validate that label.

That being said... knowing now what you know, it's a different story going forward.

Anyhow. The irony of this situation is just incredible. As if you needed more drama in your life...

Sun Apr 20, 10:10:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

I was in the same boat as you in regards to having no interest in eating raw fish, especially cold, raw fish. However, some of us here at work go to a chinese place that also serves sushi and I figured I'd try it, since it was included in the buffet price, and I'm happy to admit I liked it.

However, no freight train hit me in the middle of the meal as did you. hehe

Mon Apr 21, 07:34:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

huh. something about life being stranger than fiction...

well, at least it's clear neither party is up for anything serious. Hm.

I, for one, love sushi. And not even pretending...

Mon Apr 21, 02:51:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I'm just going to choose to ignore the whole married part (for now) and focus on the part where you were asked out on a DATE!

Look at you go, hot stuff.

Now, try and keep it in your pants until you can find someone unattached and legally single.

Mon Apr 21, 03:16:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

I second Redneck Mommy's thoughts. And I will wholeheartedly agree that the irony is eerie.

BTW, I love me some sushi. Just for information's sake most of what we Americans eat isn't raw. The fish/crab/eel/etc. is steamed and then chilled.

Mon Apr 21, 07:39:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous uumomma said...

what redneck mommy said

Mon Apr 21, 09:44:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Just read this one too and thought I'd weigh in. I agree with twobusy. You definitely aren't a hypocrite because you didn't know.

This may be another tough thing to hear, but I'd back off. For her kids' sake, I wouldn't want to be the other guy involved if there was a chance she and her husband could reconcile (or whatever they need to do to work out the "situation"). Did the guy who set you two up know she was married?

Good job trying the sushi, btw. I've tried it, but it isn't really my thing either. I have no problem with a raw bar though.

Wed Apr 30, 12:19:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home