Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Weight Lifted


It is safe to say the last week has been difficult.

Mrs. Joe did leave Friday night. I spoke to her that morning before I left for work and told her that I hoped she finds whatever she is looking for. I went out to dinner that night with some friends and got home pretty late.

And pretty drunk.

I spent most of Saturday regretting my consumption from the night before but started putting the house back together. My sister and cousin came over on Sunday and we got the place picked up pretty good.

I got to see the kids on Monday. I picked them up from school and took them to The Champs’ gymnastics class. After that we had dinner at McDonald’s. Mrs. Joe came over and picked them up before bedtime.

I went to Mrs. Joe’s apartment yesterday. The Champ called and asked me if I could bring a toy he wanted over. What was I to do, say no? The kids showed me their rooms and the new stuff they got. As much as I wanted to see them, I could not get out of there fast enough.

After that, I spent the evening picking up the kids’ rooms. Mrs. Joe bought Peanut a big girl bed for her place so I had to take the crib apart and fetch a twin bed out of the attic that we were saving for her. I’m off to buy new sheet sets for each of them after work today.

I miss the kids so much. It’s not a constant, though, probably because I’m busy cleaning up and resetting the rooms. I assume once all that settles down and I have a little free time those feelings will become more noticeable.

I will be picking them up from school tomorrow. I get them through the weekend and up to Wednesday. I want to plan some things to do outside of the house. Sitting around watching t.v. seems like a waste of time now.

So as difficult as it has been, it is also better. If the last week has taught me anything, it is to appreciate the time I get with them now.

My emotions toward Mrs. Joe are a little different than I had thought. With her gone, the feelings of trying to fix the mess have gone also. That is a huge relief. I have to keep telling myself that I did not do anything to deserve all of this. Unless she wants to try to repair our marriage, I’m better off with her away.

It’s more fun to focus on the kids anyway.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

It sounds like you'll get through this just fine. You'll probably even enjoy the time you get alone eventually.

Wed Mar 12, 03:02:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dan said...

Now you can concentrate on quality time wit the kid without that air of tension in the house.

Wed Mar 12, 03:43:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Thinking of you. You sound pretty good today, friend.

Wed Mar 12, 08:34:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

I'm sure that hangover was full of regret, but let's face it, it had to be done.

Sounds like you're focusing on the right stuff.

Wed Mar 12, 09:07:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous uumomma said...

all i can do is send you a cyber ((hug))

Thu Mar 13, 12:24:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Nancy said...

and the upside is ... less bench time ... more field time with the little rookies =)

Thu Mar 13, 08:13:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

The fact that you seem to have your head on straight - in the face of everything you're going through - is really, truly admirable.

Thu Mar 13, 09:57:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Mama Nabi said...

I have to admit... I am a bit jealous that the physical separation is said and done for you... it must be a huge weight off on the tension department.
Sending you lots of luck and support in the coming days...

Thu Mar 13, 11:47:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

It sounds as though the healing has begun. I'm glad for you Joe.

Enjoy those kids of yours and keep focusing on the positives in your life.

The rest will fall into place. You'll see.

Thu Mar 13, 12:52:00 PM 2008  
Blogger samokdaddy said...

Hey bud...Things sound like they are moving in the right direction. It's time to focus on the kids and the fun you can have being their dad and watching them grow...

Plus...it's spring training...what could be finer than having baseball season starting...mmmm good.

Thu Mar 13, 10:50:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home