Thursday, February 07, 2008

Nobody Took My Clothes Either


A fellow coworker who I have talked with about my situation with Mrs. Joe offered get me out of the house and take me to the Y to teach me how to play racquetball.

Let me start by saying the closest thing that I have participated in that resembles anything athletic within the last ten years would be volleyball at one of my in-laws 4th of July parties. Trust me, there were no Olympic medals being handed out after those games. And the most important rule there was not to knock over anyone’s beer.

So wanting space from Mrs. Joe, I took him up on his offer. I asked him what I was to bring. He said he had an extra racquet for me to use so all I needed was some gym clothes and water.

“Oh, and don’t forget a towel, shampoo and some soap. You will want to take a shower afterwards,” he added.

Now that was something I didn’t think about.

I will now admit to all of you something that is a little embarrassing.

I have never in my life taken a shower in a locker room.

Yes, my scrawny little ass has never shined bright in a men’s locker room, even in school. Back then I said it was because I was a long haired, Bret Michaels wanna-be who thought he was too cool for gym class. Also, although I wouldn’t admit it, I was scared to have any locker room pranks played on me. And unless you joined the service or a gym after high school, when would you need to take a shower outside your house?

So we went last Friday evening and played for about two hours. He told me I’d be sore for the next few days and trust me I was. It was fun even though I am pretty competitive and getting my ass handed to me wasn’t so easy to take. The best part is that it kept my mind occupied, which with everything going on, is the most difficult thing to do. We are supposed to go again this Monday and I am looking forward to it.

And the shower wasn’t as traumatizing as I imagined. At least nobody snapped me in the ass with a towel.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Pgoodness said...

Ah, keeping the mind occupied..and then hopefully allowing some fitful sleep as well.

BTW, it's funny to me that guys worry/do locker room pranks; I just never wanted anyone to see me naked (then I had kids and have no cares!)

Thu Feb 07, 10:21:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

Watch out for the duct tape. That can be painful.

Thu Feb 07, 11:07:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I have been an athlete all my life. I can strip down anywhere. And whip a towel like it's nobody's business.

Glad you enjoyed your game of raquetball. It's great fun. I know because I regularly like to hand my husband his ass when we play it...

Thu Feb 07, 11:21:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

I had the exact same "Breakfast Club" flashback as Whit. Glad to hear you weren't a victim of the same.

Fri Feb 08, 08:53:00 AM 2008  
Blogger samokdaddy said...

Alright Joe!!! Getting your ass in gear and getting out there and sweating is fantastic. Just enjoy the time with a few friends, get loud, and just be a guy. There's nothing better than that.

Hey, take a towel at home and go in the bathroom, wet the tip and make a rat tail-the kind of a rolled up towel that cracks like a whip and practice snapping. It's fun and cathartic. I love it when I can make a rat tail crack.

Fri Feb 08, 06:00:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Better to get your ass snapped by a towel than....oh nevermind. I shouldn't add to the fear.

Raquetball would kick my ass old school if I tried it now. Loved it about 20 years ago.

Sat Feb 09, 02:24:00 PM 2008  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Who came up with the idea of a really hard ball in a really small room with really loud acoustics? I'm horrible at that game. I spend half the game ducked down hoping the ball doesn't bounce off the wall and into my face.

I'm horrible at that game. Glad you had fun though. :o)

Sat Feb 09, 11:27:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Good for you Joe. Just do it.

Sun Feb 10, 12:22:00 AM 2008  
OpenID chaoscontrol said...

Racquetball is the perfect sport for taking out some frustrations ... not to mention, it's great exercise!

Mon Feb 11, 04:01:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home