Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Dead Marriage Walking

Things have been pretty much status quo here the past week. Mrs. Joe still plans on leaving as soon as possible. I am mentally preparing the best I can but I can’t imagine how I will feel. I think I’ll be okay regarding Mrs. Joe but the kids will be a whole different story.

There was not much discussion the past week about her leaving. There wasn’t really much discussion of anything. I have said how I feel and so has she. Small talk seems meaningless. Nothing seems harder than sitting across the dinner table from your wife knowing she doesn’t want to be with you anymore.

We did have a little disagreement about once the apartment becomes available. She planned on spending time over there cleaning and painting before she moves. I told her that I hoped she didn’t expect me to watch the kids while she’s doing this. I figure, let her go over there after they go to bed. Or better yet, take some time off from work.

“I will not assist you in breaking up our family,” I told her.

That didn’t fly too well.

Both Mrs. Joe’s parents are now aware of her wanting a separation. Neither is happy about it. They both told me that if there was anything they could do for me to just ask.

Here’s one, how about talking to your damn daughter.

My sister has been fantastic throughout all of this. With our parents gone and she being my only sibling, we only have each other. She has had her share of marriage difficulties and has helped me with this more than I could have ever imagined. I have never felt so close to her as I have in the last few weeks. At times, this separation seems like a blessing in disguise.

Some have asked where Peanut & The Champ will go. So far, Mrs. Joe & I have been very agreeable in that the kids’ time will be split evenly between both homes. Mrs. Joe’s parents separated when she was five and their split sounded very amicable. I get the impression that she wants the same for our two kids.

The tenant is supposed to be out by this Saturday. Mrs. Joe said she will need the following week to get it ready. So that’s pretty much one more week of this so-called normalcy we will have to experience. Then the fun starts. I just hope we can both stay mature adults and not turn this into a mess.

All the while, I’ll probably be hoping for that phone call advising a stay of execution.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger samokdaddy said...

Walk with dignity my man. I'll be hanging around to give my support. God's looking out for you. You look out for Peanut and the Champ. Things will sort out...breathe and walk...breathe and walk.

Wed Feb 20, 10:15:00 AM 2008  
Anonymous uumomma said...

(hug)

Wed Feb 20, 07:42:00 PM 2008  
Blogger jason said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Wed Feb 20, 09:09:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous pgoodness said...

“I will not assist you in breaking up our family,” I told her.

GOOD. FOR. YOU.

Still, I know that wasn't easy - none of it is, but you're doing alright.

Wed Feb 20, 10:33:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Damn. It just doesn't get easier, does it?

Stay tough, man.

Wed Feb 20, 10:39:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous phenom said...

I can't even imagine what you must be going through. Good vibes to you from Tigertown.

Thu Feb 21, 08:26:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

Hang in there. We're all hoping that everything works out best for you and the kids.

Thu Feb 21, 01:39:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

I'm so sorry, friend. It sounds really hard.

Thu Feb 21, 08:58:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I'm sorry it's come to this Joe. I had really hoped the two of you could work it out.

But I am proud of the way you are handling yourself through this crisis. Must be really tough some days not to let your tongue just rip free and say what you want.

Stay strong. Not just for your kids, but for yourself.

I'm out here rooting for you.

Fri Feb 22, 01:21:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Whit said...

I feel for you, man. I hope it goes well, relatively, for the kids.

Sat Feb 23, 02:49:00 AM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home