Monday, January 28, 2008

Mental Road Trip


This past Saturday I focused on myself a little. With everything going on I thought some time away from the house would be good. I figure Mrs. Joe can handle Peanut & The Champ alone for a couple hours. What could she do? Leave?

A local band that a friend of mine knows had a bus trip planned for a gig at The Bitter End in Greenwich Village. I have only been to New York City a few times and that was either to see a play or The Rockettes at Radio City Music Hall.

I decided to tag along.

About 30 of us boarded the bus at 7pm and we were on our way. Everybody brought a little something to hold us over until we got to the club. For me it was Berkshire Brewing Company’s Cabin Fever Ale. We arrived in Greenwich Village for 11pm with most of us already feeling pretty good. It was too cold to walk around so we went right into the club. I found out the band was going on last, which turned out to be after 2am, a quick reminder that I was in New York City. Here in Western Mass. The bars are closed by 2am.

So the band was good. All of us had a good time. We started stumbling back onto the bus around 3:45am. I kept the consumption down, knowing I had a long Sunday ahead of me. Before I got onto the bus, I walked down the street away from everything and just stood looking around. I thought to myself, here I am, at almost 4 in the morning on a street corner in Greenwich Village, living though an emotional hell, wondering where I will be next year at this time.

It scared the living shit out of me.

I got onto the bus and we left New York City. I got home at 7am to the loving arms of my children. I then realized that no matter where I may be a year from now, they will still be with me.

I wasn’t as scared anymore.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous TwoBusy said...

If there's a better time or place for self-reflection than on a street corner in an unfamiliar city at 4am -- outside a club called The Bitter End - I can't imagine what it is.

Mon Jan 28, 01:57:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Well said, Joe. Well said.

Mon Jan 28, 08:43:00 PM 2008  
Blogger Darren said...

The night out sounds fun. When I first got to New York, I think I spent every weekend out until about 4 am or later. Now I'm usually asleep by the time I used to leave to go out.

Thu Jan 31, 03:50:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home