Monday, January 21, 2008

I think I Am Finally Thawed Out

I made it through yesterday’s Patriots game without succumbing to hypothermia. I tried to prepare. I stopped at a sporting goods store on Saturday and bought those little disposable hand and foot warmers along with another pair of thermals. I wasn't sure how many layers were enough so I settled on 5 for the top and 3 for the bottom. I wore two pairs of thermal socks with insulated boots.

It would not have been enough.

Thankfully, I was with a seasoned tailgater. Big D had all the cold weather accessories I could have asked for. Included with some good, hot food, and a case of beer, he brought along 4 Duraflame firelogs. Sit yourself in front of two of those burning in a cheap aluminum pan and you just might forget its 14 degrees out with a wind chill in the single digits.

Maybe the shots of Jagermeister helped as well.

Did I mention how difficult it is to drink beer that has partially frozen?

Oh, the game? The game was great, minus the three Brady interceptions. But a win is a win.

After the game we lit another set of firelogs, ate some steak sandwiches and watched the first half of the Packers/Giants game. All the while realizing it wasn't really that cold after all.

We could have been in Green Bay.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Mr Big Dubya said...

Damn - had I known you were there, we should have tried to meet up. How were your seats?

Mon Jan 21, 03:15:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I attended the NHL's outdoor game of the Oilers vs Montreal a few years back. It was -30 (that would be-31 in your degrees) not counting the windchill. And it was windy.

I damn near froze my tootsies and all other body parts off.

But damn was it worth it.

Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Mon Jan 21, 10:30:00 PM 2008  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Brave man. It certainly looked cold from what I could see, hiding under three layers of blankets on my couch.

Tue Jan 22, 08:52:00 AM 2008  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

I thought it was cold just walking from the car to the sports bar.
You're right about Jagermeister, though.

Wed Jan 23, 09:55:00 PM 2008  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home