Monday, December 10, 2007

For Us, He Comes In Through The Dryer Vent



The Christmas Season has officially begun in our house. We went and cut down our Christmas tree Saturday and decorated it that afternoon. There were a few more decorated trees in the field, but nothing really worthy of posting.

After Mrs. Joe retrieved the plastic totes from the attic that held all the ornaments, we opened the one tote that held the most fragile ones. You have a few of those, right? The ornaments that have been in your families for years and can break into a million little shards if you even hold it wrong. Well, right about the same time Peanut reached right in and pulled one out Mrs. Joe & I decided that those ornaments would be staying in the tote this year.

Along with trimming the tree, came all the other Christmas decorations; the Santas, the snowmen, the stockings and everything else Mrs. Joe has stashed up in the attic. And who can forget the Christmas books and videos. The Polar Express has already been played in my house three times.

Yesterday, after viewing yet another holiday video, The Champ came up to me and asked me a very important question.

“Dad, How does Santa get into our house? We don’t have a fireplace.”

With quick thinking, I answered him honestly.

“Go ask your mother.”

Mrs. Joe gave some answer about coming in through the basement. A better answer than mine nonetheless. At least she didn't pawn him off like I did. My question to you is what have you told your kids?

How did you explain to your kids how Santa gets into your house if you have no fireplace?

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger charlotta-love said...

My mom would look at us like we were dumb and say, "The front door! How else did you expect him to get in?"
"But we lock the door."
"Well he has an elf the size of a key that he keeps in his beard. He climbs out and unlocks the door."
"oh, should we leave him cookies too?"
"No. He eats Santa's crumbs."

And there you have it, the rest of the story.

Mon Dec 10, 03:25:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Sue said...

We don't have a chimney either - but my brother actually got Clare a really cool key with a key chain that has a poem on it about how it's a magic key that only Santa can change to fit in the front door to use to get in.

Mon Dec 10, 07:06:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

They haven't asked yet, but I'll probably go the front door route, even if I have to leave it unlocked until they go to bed.

I'm sure I could think up something more clever if I really tried, but that's just one more story to keep straight. I don't need that.

Tue Dec 11, 01:17:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Although we do have a fireplace my daughter happened to be smart enough to figure out some fat dude was not going to fit down our chimney. We told her the Tooth Fairy opens the door for him. Funny she never asked how the Tooth Fairy gets in.

Tue Dec 11, 10:41:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

I've always told them Santa wiggles his nose like a magic genie and poof! he is standing in front of the tree. I told them he can only do this with houses that don't have chimneys because if he does it too many times he gets really skinny and then he would be fired as Santa.

Now if they asked I'd just tell them he uses a slim-jim to pry the door open or a credit card on the lock...

Tue Dec 11, 01:00:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

I just use "magic" as an answer to whatever I can.

Can I come over? Nobody else here likes watching The Polar Express.

Wed Dec 12, 10:24:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Hilarious.

He breaks a window!

Wed Dec 12, 01:33:00 PM 2007  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

"Oh my gosh, Champ. I never thought of that. (pause) I guess he's not going to come this year, after all."

Wed Dec 12, 01:53:00 PM 2007  
Blogger samokdaddy said...

I also think Santa uses a either a credit card or a slim jim to get into houses without chimneys. He can put his finger on his nose magically to disable any alarm that ADT installs in homes.

Instead of cookies, my son wants to put out marshmallows for the big man in red.

Wed Dec 12, 02:23:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home