Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Every Nor’easter Has A Silver Lining

A good friend of mine, Big D, has season tickets to the Patriots.

No, that is not the reason why I said he is a good friend.

Every year he invites me to a game or two. All I have to do is pay for the ticket and parking. He drives there and back and handles everything for the tailgating. And no hot dogs and hamburgers either, I’m talking BBQ chicken or steak with a little chili, maybe some cocktail shrimp. The beer is even included. I can usually choose which game I want, so I try to pick an early Sunday afternoon game. Living almost 90 miles from the stadium means a 2-hour ride each way. Leaving the house early isn't a problem but you couple that with some post game tailgating and you have yourself a long day with a late night/early morning if you go to a night game.

Earlier this year, when he showed me the Patriots schedule, I was irritated because most games were night games. So I decided on the Jets game that was played this past Sunday. Which I thought early in the season was to be a great choice with the whole videotaping controversy.

So last Wednesday night, Big D & I were out having a couple beers, talking about the game and the Nor’easter that was due to arrive Sunday morning. He has had these season tickets for at least ten years so he is pretty good judge when it comes to planning due to the weather. He figured we better leave by 9 am if it’s snowing, earlier if its sleet and freezing rain. I told him to call me Saturday to tell me what time and I would be ready to go. Who cares about a little weather, I thought, I will be in Foxboro watching the Patriots.

Saturday afternoon came and so did the call.

“I don’t think we’re going tomorrow. It’s not because of the weather during the game. It’s the weather for traveling.”

Instantly, I was a tad bit upset with Mother Nature.

He had a point, though. While our area was supposed to get mostly snow, the weathermen were talking about nothing but freezing rain in Foxboro. He told me the last time he went to a game and it was freezing rain, the trip to the game took him 5 hours while the trip home took 6. I mind as well have picked the night game, I thought. Never mind, once I got home I would have had to clean up my driveway and sidewalks from the snow.

But then the skies opened up and the sun shined bright.

“Don’t worry, we will go to one of the playoff games, instead.”

Oh, darn, I thought. Instead of spending who knows how long in a car, watching the Patriots kick the lowly Jets' ass, in the freezing rain and then come home to 4-5 inches of snow, I have to go to a playoff game.

So my apologies go out to Mother Nature. Apparently you created my own little “perfect storm”. One request though, can you please keep the weather in check for the playoffs?

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Redneck Mommy said...

There is NOTHING better than playoff games and football...oh wait...let me rephrase...there is nothing better than playoff games and the CFL.

There, I feel much better.

Wed Dec 19, 03:21:00 PM 2007  
Blogger samokdaddy said...

Okay...I envy you...and not just because you are a Pats fan and have playoff tickets, but you get to go to a game OUTSIDE!!! It doesn't matter if it's sleeting or snowing. I live in Minnesota...I grew up cheering for the Vikings when they played on the frozen tundra of Metropolitan Stadium. We here in the Frozen Northland of Minnesota now are forced to go into the climate controlled, giant, teflon toilet known as the Metrodome to see a game live. I hate it...It's wussy ball!!!

As for the CFL...I do seem to remember the promo tag line that they used a few years ago...I thought it was clever-"Our Balls are Bigger"

Wed Dec 19, 04:17:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

Assuming the Patriots make the playoffs...

Thu Dec 20, 12:52:00 PM 2007  
Blogger TwoBusy said...

Great call on not heading to Foxboro... man, what a miserable day that was (both in terms of weather and the game itself).

I'm wearing a Hamilton Tiger-Cats t-shirt right now, btw. True story.

Fri Dec 21, 09:44:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

I'm a lifelong Viking fan as well (don't ask). I always wanted to go to a game at the old Metropolitan Stadium. I've settled for a trip to the Mall of America and a game at the Metrodome. Boo.

BTW, I finished my fantasy league three games up on everyone else because I had Tom Brady at QB. Lost my first playoff game due to Brady's performance Sunday. I hate New England weather for a differnt reason.

Fri Dec 21, 08:32:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home