Tuesday, November 13, 2007

The Sunday Drive

The weekend before our getaway to Newport, Mrs. Joe & I decided to take Peanut & The Champ out for an old fashioned Sunday drive.

Does anybody else still do this?

The weather that day was to be spectacular. Sunny, 60's, beautiful Fall colors, a picture perfect day. So we loaded the kids into the car and took off. The Champ asked where we were going and up until then I had not thought about it. All I new was we had to take advantage of the day.

Mrs. Joe asked if we could stop at this little country market first. They sell these truffles that she likes and she figured if she was nearby....

That's where I took this.



After our little truffle detour, we were back on the road to nowhere. After about ten minutes I realized I could take them here. I can't tell you the last time I was at Quabbin. It was built in the 30's to supply Boston with drinking water. The government has created a bunch of trails for hiking and biking so I figured we could check it out.

That is where I took this.


The kids started getting hungry so after a quick stop at the Golden Arches, we were back on the road. I remembered that there was a old mill town up the road from where we were that had a hidden jewel. I figured it would look beautiful this time of year.

I was not disappointed.


This is the Gilbertville covered bridge. It crosses the Ware River in Hardwick, MA. It has been closed to autos for a while now. Hopefully it can at least be preserved for foot traffic. The kids enjoyed walking out onto it and looking out of the sides.

I took this from the bridge.


Did you spot the guy fly fishing?

After checking out the bridge, we headed for home. The kids could only handle nature for so long. To me Fall in New England can't be beat. Especially when you are close enough to see it by car.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

Great photos. I love the covered bridge. And it looks like it was the perfect day for a drive.

Tue Nov 13, 09:43:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous phenom said...

Jeefus, that's a heck of a Sunday drive. I'm jealous.

Wed Nov 14, 07:30:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

I second that emotion. What a gorgeous fall this has been... although I have little doubt it's been even more spectacular out in your neck of the woods.

Wed Nov 14, 09:32:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

I've only been to New England in the warmer months. I need to get back for fall someday.

Very nice.

Wed Nov 14, 09:05:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

I put the kids in the car for drives alot. Usually put on some John Denver. Stop at fun places to pick up candy and stuff. Gorgeous Fall where oyu are! Ours is done I think.

Thu Nov 15, 05:06:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

We used to do Sunday drives on our way home from church. My mom would give someone a penny and each time we came to an intersection, we flipped the coin. Heads: left; Tails: right. We always had fun adventures with that game.

Fri Nov 16, 11:58:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

I was at Quabbin years ago too. Just recently I was thinking that it would be fun to climb Mount Holyoke again sometime.

Fri Nov 16, 08:03:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home