Monday, November 26, 2007

On 3


I hope everybody had a nice Thanksgiving. Ours was good. I got some of the lawn raked even though half of the trees still have leaves on them.

Damn oak trees.

After watching a little football on Thursday, The Champ wanted to go outside and throw around the old pigskin. Figuring one toss to the face with a real ball would instantly end that desire, we settled on a small Nerf that he has.

So we were playing catch and like any red blooded 6 year old boy he was diving for almost everything. He was doing pretty well when he stayed on his feet. When he thought he was Randy Moss though he would end up with a face full of leaves.

I asked him if he wanted to run a few routes from scrimmage. After explaining to him that the line of scrimmage is where everybody starts from, he replied,

“Sure. I want you to throw me a bomb.”

A bomb it was. He had no problem running those routes. Although all the passes I threw he dropped.

Damn kid, he should’ve had some of those!!!

Then I said to run a simple “in” route. I told him to just run up field ten steps and cut to the right and be ready for the ball. We had a few problems with those.

First attempt: As he started up field he was only counting his right foot and not both feet. He ended up running too far before cutting right.

I explained that he needed to count both feet, not just his right.

Second attempt: He started up field counting both feet but made a cut to the left, not right.

After explaining the “stick and stone” philosophy we tried again.

Third attempt: He correctly counted, cut to the right and dropped the ball.

It’s a safe bet The Champ will not be ready for this postseason.

But honestly, we both had a great time. He caught some balls and threw some good ones to me. As a kid, my dad didn’t spend too many fall Sunday afternoons away from the couch, but as I was asked if I wanted to go outside the question was easy.

Although it did make me wonder why my dad was so reluctant.

On a side note, thanks to TwoBusy for the tasty suggestion, after enjoying one six pack I went back for two more.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Dan said...

What on earht is the stick and stone philosophy?

Mon Nov 26, 02:03:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Slainte.

Tue Nov 27, 02:28:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

You said Randy Moss gets a face full of leaves. Is that a pot joke?

Just kidding. Sounds fun. My oldest isn't interested in running routes yet.

Tue Nov 27, 06:42:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Sounds like a great day. It's too cold here for any outdoor tossing.

Wed Nov 28, 10:44:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home