Saturday, November 10, 2007

Doubles As A Time Machine

Why is it that if you are in your mid 30's and you are out on a Friday night feeling like you are in your 20's again, you wake up Saturday morning feeling like you are in your 60's?

I went out last night with a couple of guys I worked with at least 10 years ago. Back when none of us were married and the only worry was getting to work the following morning, hoping your boss does not realize how hung over you are. We only get together a few times a year now. Kids, wives, bills, pretty much life in general tends to get in the way.

Lucky for me, Mrs. Joe made a quick dinner, I kissed the kids and off I went. We met at a bar near my house just after 5pm. I don't usually go there. It's known for a much younger crowd. Once we all got there and said our initial hellos we found ourselves in front of one of these.



I don't know why, but whenever I get in front of one of these, I'm transported back into time, somewhere in the early to mid 90's. I was wearing flannel and I think Nirvana was playing.

We had a good night. Between some Sam Adams Winter lagers and one too many shots of Jagermeister, we caught up on who's working where and how our families are doing. All this while standing for hours at the foosball table, knees locked & hands cramped from holding the handles.

I was thankful for my trip back in time. A night out like that is good once in awhile. I just wish the landing on the return trip would go a little smoother.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

I feel your pain. In fact, when I get together with friends now, we tend to favor a cafe with good coffee, comfortable booths, and a chance to just sit and talk.

But when I need to go back in time, I tend to seek out air hockey. Can't get enough of that game!

Sun Nov 11, 05:18:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

Exactly. Damn turbulence.

I have some Winter Lager in the fridge. Thanks for reminding me!

Sun Nov 11, 08:49:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous phenom said...

I get one of those nights once a month during the summer, that's for sure.

As for foosball, most of my friends have battles that border on epic at the foosball table, so I keep my distance. Mostly because I once lost six games in a row. To my buddy's daughter. She was 12.

Mon Nov 12, 08:54:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Just looking at that picture reminds me of my cousins' basement in the 80s.

And flannel and Nirvana make me think of being in a bar in the East Village in NYC in the 90s.

Just today I had a weird "flashback" to the 70s that I was going to post about.

Mon Nov 12, 10:37:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Jagermeister? Good lord. No wonder you were damaged goods the next day.

Tue Nov 13, 01:12:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home