Thursday, October 11, 2007

What A Difference One CD Track Makes

It was 10 years ago today that I stood before God and vowed to love, honor and cherish Mrs. Joe for the rest of my life. Ten beautiful years filled with both highs, births of Peanut & The Champ, and lows, losing both my parents as well as Mrs. Joe’s grandmother.

I figured I would share with you a story from that wonderful day ten years ago.

You all know the phrase, "If anything can go wrong, it will, and usually at the most inopportune moment". Well, our wedding day started well. Everybody found the church. We made it through the ceremony without any problems, nobody passed out. Even my cousin, who was my best man, had the rings. We got from the church to the reception hall without incident, though the Model A Ford we rented sounded like it seen better days. Even the wedding pictures went smoothly; no bums were camped out in the gazebo we wanted to use.

That left the reception.

Let me mention first, when we met with the DJ earlier in the year he seemed okay. He asked the typical questions; what song will you dance to, what song will the bride dance to with her father, etc.

We just had two requests;

1. He could not, under any circumstances, play Love Shack.

2. When we were introduced as husband and wife for the first time, we wanted to enter to the theme from the TV show Mad About You. We both enjoyed watching the show and thought it would be cute.

He said no problem, he had a CD with a bunch of TV theme songs, that song included.

Here’s where the wheels came off the Chrysler. With everone seated and as he finished introducing the bridal party, Mrs. Joe and I stood alone in the hallway about to enter as husband and wife for the first time, ready to share this wonderful evening with all our family and friends.

And this is what began to play...



Happy Anniversary to my beautiful bride.

I love you.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Dad Stuff said...

The good news is you outlasted both shows.
Happy Anniversary.

Thu Oct 11, 05:16:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Dan said...

Could have been worse, could have been the adams family theme.

Thu Oct 11, 06:30:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

LOL...probably frustrating at the time, but not a fun memory. Happy Anniversary to you two!

Thu Oct 11, 06:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

That's funny. We entered to Darth Vader's theme. Yes, on purpose.

Thu Oct 11, 06:57:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Good lord. I hope you clubbed him like a baby seal when he asked to be paid afterwards.

Fri Oct 12, 12:10:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

It's almost as if he couldn't find the "Mad About You" song and thought "Oh, THIS will do." I can't stop laughing...

Fri Oct 12, 07:29:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Happy Anniversary! Gosh, 10 years ago I was actually watching that show thinking Zack was THE hottest thing around and wondering why Kelly never wore socks. *ahh...memories.

Mon Oct 15, 12:17:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

That is hilarious. And so inappropriate it is charming.

But still, you had our wedding beat...as a joke my brother bribed the D.J (who was my new groom's brother-in-law) to play "The Bitch is Back" by Elton John when we entered our reception.

Good times. Gooooooood times.

Mon Oct 15, 03:40:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

That is so BAD that it's good.

Mon Oct 15, 09:14:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Happy Anniversary!

Just curious...what have y'all got against "Love Shack"?

Tin Roof...Rusted!

Mon Oct 15, 09:15:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Sorry I missed wishing you happy anniversary on time...but happy anniversary.

That's a hilarious story. I probably shouldn't admit that I have no idea what song Clare's Mom and I entered to.

Tue Oct 16, 01:18:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous phenom said...

Even though I didn't click the Youtube, I've got that song stuck in my head now. I must go in search of revenge music!

Oh, and Happy Anniversary. :)

Wed Oct 17, 08:28:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Beagoodmom said...

Oh, that's funny. At least you got a great story out of it.

Wed Oct 17, 12:28:00 PM 2007  
Blogger creative-type dad said...

What are you talking about?
That's a great song!!

The wife and I went to a friends wedding about 4 years ago, and they're big Sinatra fans - they wanted the first Dance to be "Fly Me To The Moon", the DJ ended up playing "Love and Marriage" the "Married with Children theme song.

Happy Anniversary.

Thu Oct 18, 12:53:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home