Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Best Laid Plans…


As I mentioned, Mrs. Joe & I celebrated 10 years of marriage this past October 11. Somewhat of an important anniversary, you might think. Earlier this year, I figured I better start looking for a gift. I mean I have to get something and unlike last year’s Christmas present, I have to get this one right. Apparently, the “traditional” gift for 10 years of marriage is tin and aluminum, but I don’t think a six pack of Bud Light would be that romantic.

Besides, beer shouldn’t come in aluminum cans.

I found there are “modern” anniversary gifts as well. Diamonds are the modern gift for 10 years of marriage.

Guaranteed a woman wrote this list.

So I decided to plan a weekend getaway for the two of us. All the way back in March, I talked with my mother in law about watching the kids one weekend this month and she said she would. It was good to confirm this early, The Champ had spent the night only once at Grammie’s and Peanut has yet to sleep there.

Next I needed to decide which weekend in October we were going to go. Can you guess which weekend I chose for this little getaway?

Yes, this weekend.

By the way, if you didn’t know, there is this little sporting event going on and participating in this event is a team I tend to follow somewhat.

Does anybody think Jonathan Paplebon can lay off the Michael Flatley impersonations and maybe perform a rain dance in Denver on Saturday night? Better yet, how about some snow? They definitely won’t play in snow.

Anyway, back to the getaway. Once I locked Grammie into taking the kids and I decided on which weekend, I had to find somewhere to take Mrs. Joe. It would have to be within driving distance, in case the kids revolted and took hostages. Living in New England, that still left quite a few options. I decided on Newport, RI.

So the plan is to drop the kids off at school Friday morning and be on the road soon after. We should be in Newport by lunch. I’m sure I will be seeing all the mansions and do some shopping while we are there. We will have a few nice meals without having to worry if the grilled cheese is too hot or making sure the cup of juice doesn’t get spilled. I figure we will get home around dinnertime Sunday night and fall back into the routine of life.

Ten years of marriage to me, she deserves this.

Oh, and keep this to yourself. Mrs. Joe has no idea where she is going.

By the way, we will gladly accept any belated anniversary gifts you may want to give us, as long as it is received before Saturday, involves the state of Colorado and includes precipitation.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Happy Tenth Anniversary! I'm sure Mrs. Joe will cut you some slack and let you have a three hour break to watch the series. I hope y'all have a blast.

Wed Oct 24, 06:56:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Sue said...

Happy Anniversary!!

Take Mrs. Joe to the Red Parrot for lunch in Newport and linger - then you can catch the game on the tv at the bar!

Thu Oct 25, 10:03:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous phenom said...

I remember Opening Day in Detroit a few years ago. Seated down the first-base line, we couldn't see the leftfielder thanks to all the snow that was falling. So yes, they play in snow. More penance for being a Red Sox fan!

I swear I missed some blog memo.

On a side note, I've never had colder beer at a ballgame than that day.

Thu Oct 25, 10:06:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Happy Anniversary to you both, and good luck in talking her into spending at least one night sucking down Newport Storms and watching the game with you...

Thu Oct 25, 11:52:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

It's still Red Sox country. The game'll be on everywhere. Happy anniversary.

Thu Oct 25, 10:47:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Happy Anniversary! My gift is "in the mail". :o)

Fri Oct 26, 08:56:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Happy Tenth Anniversary!

Whoo hoo!

Sounds like you are going to have a better ten year celebration than my hubs and I did for ours in the spring.

I flew up to butt-fark nowhere to be with him while he worked and we got er, the runs, from the questionable cuisine we ate in the town's only diner.

Although, he did give me a big ass diamond anniversary band to make up for it...

Enjoy the vacay, and the game!

Fri Oct 26, 10:47:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Dad Stuff said...

Congrats on ten years. Sounds like your get away will be fun. Don't worry about the Sox. They will wrap up the Series pretty fast anyway.

Fri Oct 26, 11:00:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

Congratulations! And yes, I did happen to notice our Sox were a little series of games...and doing quite well.

Fri Oct 26, 09:55:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home