Thursday, September 27, 2007

Must Have Been The Harvest Moon


I'd love a good nap. That's the only thing getting me out of bed in the morning. - George Costanza

I have mentioned that Mrs. Joe goes out on Thursday nights. Well, Wednesday nights are my night out. For the last 10 plus years, the same bunch of guys have played darts in a local pub league. We meet at our nearby watering hole, throw some darts, have a few beers, watch the Red Sox and ogle the much younger women that may be there. Unfortunately, I usually don’t get home to bed much before 1 am. I am a big boy though, I can handle one night a week with little sleep. I remember when the kids were young, being up 3 or 4 times some nights when Mrs. Joe was breastfeeding.

Yes, I know, she did all the work and I was back asleep in minutes.

But hey, I still woke up.

Thankfully, now that the kids are older, those sleepless nights are few and far between. But somebody decided last night would become a good reminder of those nights. Let’s set the timeline;

12:45: Arrived home after one too many Sams.

1:00: Went to bed after wiping out half a bag of Lay’s potato chips while watching Baseball Tonight on ESPN.

2:45: Awoke by the sweet calls of Peanut looking to join Mrs. Joe & I in our bed. I begrudgingly obliged.

3:15: Awoke again by The Champ poking me and whispering something I could not understand. This is where I got a little testy and marched The Champ back to his bed only to discover the reason he came into our room was to tell us he had an accident.

3:30: After stripping and remaking The Champ’s bed, washing him up and putting him back into HIS bed, I got back to my bed and found Peanut had taken over my side. As I ever so gently tried to put her back into her crib, she woke up and made it loud and clear she was not be relocated.

3:35: I gave up sleeping in my bed and relocated to the couch, which was littered with potato chip crumbs.

6:00: I left the “comforts” of the couch and returned back to my bed after The Champ came down stairs to watch Legends Of The Hidden Temple.

6:30: Awoke for good by Mrs. Joe turning on the ceiling light in our room and telling me it was time to get in the shower. Remember, she didn’t sleep too well either.

That felt better. Thanks for letting me get it off my chest. If anybody needs me, I’ll be under my desk.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

Been there, and will be there again (I'm guessing).

Thu Sep 27, 11:10:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous phenom said...

I hate nights like that. May they be few and (very) far between.

Fri Sep 28, 08:41:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Ulg. That WAS an awesome Seinfeld though!

Fri Sep 28, 09:47:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Me, I slept like a baby.

But I've EARNED it. I put in my time with three kids. Don't worry, once the Peanut and the champ reach eight or nine, nights start to settle.

That's not so long to wait, right?

Snicker.

Fri Sep 28, 11:23:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

serves you right, because when she was breastfeeding, you got to sleep. heh.

Sun Sep 30, 06:32:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Yeah, that, uh... that kinda sucks. Sorry, dude.

Mon Oct 01, 09:36:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

The only thing that gets me through these kinds of nights is the reminder that there will come a time when the kids will sleep until noon! I can't wait!!

Mon Oct 01, 03:30:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home