Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Any Deeper Of A Hole, He’d Been Served Chinese Noodles


Peanut, The Champ and myself were sitting down at the dinner table last evening. Spaghetti was on the menu for the evening. As Mrs. Joe was in the kitchen filling the bowls, she mentioned to The Champ something about picking up the living room after dinner.

He whined, “Why do I have to do everything?”

I replied, “You don’t do everything.”

“Yes I do. Mommy doesn't do anything. She just tells me to do it.”

Trying to rescue him, “Mommy does a lot. She made dinner tonight, didn't she?”

“That’s all she does. She makes me do everything else.”

At that point I said to myself, "Kid, you're on your own."

By now Mrs. Joe had sat down at the table and was giving us the eye. He must have realized he stepped into something as he kept pretty quiet the rest of dinner.

I had no idea where his little outburst came from. Maybe it is lack of sleep now that kindergarten has started and he does not get a nap. That, along with an all day picnic on Sunday, must have caused my son to lose his mind.

Maybe afterwards he should have complimented her on dinner.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

I get the same thing, in meltdown form, after school. My 1st grader leaves trash on the floor and I'm like "pick that up please!" and she throws a fit saying I make her do EVERYTHING! If she doesnt flush or leaves a light on in her closet (long story, but she plays in there) I make her go back upstairs and turn it off...even if I am there and can easily do it. I want her to remember to do it and take responsbility. But yes, the controlled environment and paying attention in school ends up altering your child's behavior at home later on. Yessiirreee. It will get better as he transitions more into the new schedule. This week is better for us already.

Wed Sep 05, 07:07:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

My mom is smart. When we would say things like, "we have to do everything," you better believe we had an 'additional chore' for the rest of the week. These varied between helping out with dinner, sorting laundry, having to bring in and unload groceries, taking out the trash, etc. We learned to not complain about the chores we WERE responsible for.

Wed Sep 05, 08:35:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Clare went through a phase of throwing herself around on the floor when we asked her to do anything. Lately though, she's gotten a little more responsible. I don't know if it has anything to do with school or not, but I'm not messing with the progress.

Wed Sep 05, 11:47:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home