Thursday, August 30, 2007

Success, Although Bittersweet


Here we are, two days of The Champ being in kindergarten completed. He told us all about his days, who are the kids in his class and he showed us all the things he did.

"We don't take naps in kindergarten. We just put our heads down on our desks for a little while"

Yeah, daddy tries that at work every now and then.

Thankfully a few things haven't happened. First, he hasn't been sent to the principals office. I figured seeing he's my son, he will be getting to know her soon enough. Second, he has yet to bring home anything for us to sell. No candy bars, no wrapping paper, no magazines.

I figure something will come by tomorrow.

Anyway, Wednesday morning was beautiful. All the students and parents were to meet in the gym first thing in the morning. The principal greeted everyone and introduced the staff. Then, starting with the eighth graders, the teachers each led their students to class. Finally, the kindergartners were left. Unknowing to the parents, they were not allowed to accompany their kids to the classroom. The teacher led the kids, single file, out the door. Some of the mothers had an easier time at childbirth separating themselves from their kids. Of course, there were some tears shed.

Okay, a lot of tears.

Some of the kids were crying, too!

The Champ? No, he waved goodbye and fell in step with the others, marching out the door. The last glimpse of him I saw, he was showing off his new Cars backpack to another kid. Mrs. Joe had a tear in her eye, and I don't blame her. Although, I blamed mine on my contact lenses and allergies.

I have been telling myself it was good to see him ready for this. With every day that passes, our children must become less dependant on us, the parents. It's our job, as parents, to make sure that happens.

I guess Mrs. Joe & I succeeded this time.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Darren said...

There's a coincidence...I had a scratchy contact lens on the first day of Kindergarten last year too.

We do have stuff to sell already.

Fri Aug 31, 07:03:00 AM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

It is bittersweet, but it sounds like he was ready for this big step...so kudos to the two of you for getting him ready and excited about school!

I'm sure the items for sale will show up very soon.

Now, excuse me while I put my head down on my desk for a bit. :)

Fri Aug 31, 09:47:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

I went to a city concert earlier this year when my eye started itching. I had touched near my eye after petting a cat and I'm allergic. Anyway, I was crying uncontrollably from only ONE eye. It happened to be during one of the 'sentimental' songs where much of the audience started tearing up. For the first time, there really WAS something in my eye. ...no one believed me though. lol.

happy first day of school to all of you!

Fri Aug 31, 11:41:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Yeah, contacts... must've been a lot of dust getting kicked up, what with all those kids walking around and all. Someone outta look into that.

Fri Aug 31, 12:46:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

We parents work so hard to prepare our kids for kindergarten. But somehow we forget to fully prepare ourselves, eh? Luckily, it's all a normal part of the parental growing up as well ...

Fri Aug 31, 05:46:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

that was me LAST year. All the parents were crying. We do the line up too....Now my Red is in 1st grade...the real shocker will be next Fall when Blue goes to Kindergarten, I will be dropping them both off together and walking home alone. Sniffle.

Fri Aug 31, 09:34:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Such a big kid!

(Do we HAVE to sell that Sally Foster cr*p?)

Tue Sep 04, 09:21:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home