Thursday, August 02, 2007

I Can Read It, The Champ I Am


Mrs. Joe was out with her partner tonight so I got to put Peanut & The Champ to bed by myself. Usually, doing the pajamas/teeth brushing/potty event by myself is a task I put just above cleaning the dirt out of the bathroom vent fan but tonight it was different.

After brushing their teeth they get to pick out a few books for me to read to them before lights out. With Peanut getting old enough to pick out her own stories, a few that The Champ had forgotten about have made a return.


Tonight she pulled out a classic.




I love reading this book to the kids so I was happy for its return. The Champ was excited, too.


"Dad, I want to read it."


He took the book from me and with some reading and some help from memory (and a little help from me), he read the the entire book. It took a while but I didn't mind. Watching him struggle with some of the words was hard. I wanted to help him but I could see he wanted to do it himself. Peanut gave up on her brother after about a two minutes, moving on to "read" her Curious George book. He finished with such a look of accomplishment on his face. He wanted to read another but with Peanut getting cranky, I knew we were done for tonight.


I look at tonight as another step he has taken. Eventually he will not want me to read to him. Hopefully when that time comes his head will be buried in a Harry Potter book or something. But at least I will remember nights like tonight knowing Mrs. Joe & I planted the seed.

How about you? What books did your kids start with? He was so interested, I want to keep it going with some new ones.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

Today was 90 (as you probably know) here at the beach was brutal. I put the ac in the girls' bedroom window for the next few days until it cools down. We spent an hour reading about 8 books. It was nice compared to the usual 2 before bed. Our favorites are the Robert McKlosky books. sp? Blueberries for Sal, One Day in Maine, Make Way for Ducklings. Some great ones are "Is your mama a llama?" and "In Mother's Lap" and "Goodnight Moon" was one I HAD to read every night for a few years. There are so many more. I should publish our book list on my blog somewhere.

Thu Aug 02, 10:29:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

That's great. Thing 1 has just started to put some words together. Green Eggs and Ham is heavy in our rotation.

Thu Aug 02, 10:36:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

My absolute FAVORITE book growing up (and now) is "Where the Wild Things Are". As a child I loved the pictures and the story. As an adult I think it encourages imagination and a security in 'coming home'. ...yeah, I kinda like that book. :o)

Thu Aug 02, 11:29:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

Congrats to the Champ! I think one of Clare's first was Go, Dog, Go. That's an easy and fun one too.

Mon Aug 06, 11:08:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home