Thursday, August 16, 2007

Fun Day At Fenway

Minus a few minor setbacks, including a loss, yesterday’s trip with The Champ to Fenway Park was a success.

We awoke yesterday morning like any other; with The Champ in our bed after covertly climbing in sometime during the night and Peanut, playing the part of alarm clock, demanding to get out of her crib. After a big breakfast of pancakes thanks to Mrs. Joe, we gave him this;

Included were the 2 tickets, a 2007 Red Sox yearbook, a t-shirt (for me), 2 balls for autographs, a Sharpie and a sign for the TV.

His reaction was huge and his excitement was contagious. We immediately started getting ready to go. We both put on our Red Sox shirts, packed the balls, yearbook, pen and some water in a backpack and we were on the road soon after. I knew the yearbook would keep him busy for the car ride there. Unfortunately, thanks to highway lane closures and a slow moving line at the train station we did not make it to Fenway early enough to see batting practice or to try to get any autographs.

We did see a pretty good game, though. There were a bunch of runs scored early, although they were for the other team. The game slowed down mid way through and The Champ started getting fidgety. He asked for popcorn, but nobody came around, so we left our seats to get some. I was able to find out why there wasn't anybody selling popcorn. They were out it. How could they be out of popcorn? Luckily, The Champ’s eyes fixed on some ice cream thing instead. We grabbed that and headed back to our seats. I figured we would be exploring the ballpark more than once but surprisingly, that was the only time we left our seats. The game heated up toward the end and we were cheering along with everybody else. The Red Sox made a big comeback only to fall short thanks to Manny Ramirez striking out. It was exciting none the less.

We left the park and joined the masses heading back to the train station. The Champ was asleep as soon as we took our seats. He caught a second wind during the car ride home and we stopped at McDonald’s for some dinner. We got home about 7:00, where he shared his day with Mrs. Joe, telling her about his first trip to Boston, his first ball game, etc.

As I put him to bed, I told him what a great day I had. He gave me a big kiss and told me the same.

Right about then, all that previous guilt and greed became irrelevant.

Labels: ,


Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

awesome. what a great time for you two.

Fri Aug 17, 07:25:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Hence the name Above Average Joe. That was great what you did for Champ. I'm sure he will never forget that day.

Fri Aug 17, 09:23:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous SusieJ said...

What a great memory -- and setting the tradition for more...

Fri Aug 17, 09:37:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Damn. Would you be my dad, too? Can we do that retroactively?

Fri Aug 17, 10:06:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I'm in need of a new daddy. Wanna be mine?

Wait...that might have sounded dirty.

I just want to use you for baseball tickets. LOL.

Sounds incredible. That will be a memory for the two of you to last a lifetime. Try to hang on to it and remember it when he's fifteen and it's the first time he steals your car...

Fri Aug 17, 11:26:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Darren said...

That sounds like a great day. You were right...the price of the tickets was definitely worth it.

Sat Aug 18, 01:54:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

Thanks for making me cry in the middle of my lunch! You're a fabulous dad ...

Mon Aug 20, 04:34:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

And that's what dreams are made of.

Tue Aug 21, 11:57:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home