Saturday, August 25, 2007

Excuse Me, St. Peter, I’m With Her


You must give some time to your fellow men. Even if it's a little thing, do something for others - something for which you get no pay but the privilege of doing it. - Albert Schweitzer

Mrs. Joe & I both grew up in the same town and we still call it home. I went through the public school system while Mrs. Joe survived 12 years of Catholic school. The city is small enough where a lot of older residents know our parents and grandparents. That speaks well for Mrs. Joe, not so good for me.

We got married in Mrs. Joes’ church. The same church her mother attended as a kid and the same church her grandparents attended. We still go to mass there, although not as often as we would like. It depends on the moods of the kids that morning.

The church threw our priest a retirement party a couple of weeks ago. The church counsel asked for volunteers to help with the party and Mrs. Joe offered. I wondered, vocally, why she did. It’s not like she has a lot of free time on her hands.

Seeing she works for a supermarket, Mrs. Joe helped get all the food and set up the buffet. The party was to happen after mass on a recent Saturday afternoon. Mrs. Joe spent that Friday shopping for the food and left early the day of the party to help set up. My job was to get Peanut & The Champ ready for church and keep them from being stepped on during the party while she helped keep the food coming for all the guests. The party was nice and everyone thought it was a success. I got the kids home and ready for bed while she stayed and helped clean up. When she got home she was exhausted but happy that she helped out.

I got home from work before Mrs. Joe this past Thursday and checked the answering machine. There was the nicest little old lady on the phone complimenting Mrs. Joe for all she did with the party. She mentioned that she knew Mrs. Joe’s grandparents and just found out she was their granddaughter. She spoke highly of them, thanked her again and said she would call back.

When Mrs. Joe got home I told her to listen to the message. A beautiful smile came across her face while listening to the message from the lady.

The lady called back again Thursday evening but Mrs. Joe was at Pilates. She noted again how wonderful a job Mrs. Joe did. I thanked her and told Mrs. Joe would be home all morning Friday. Mrs. Joe called me at work around 9 am yesterday to tell me the lady called again to thank her.

This little old lady again reminded me how lucky I am to be married to Mrs. Joe. I think my application to heaven will look a lot better if I list Mrs. Joe as a reference.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

that is so sweet!

Sat Aug 25, 03:49:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Whit said...

it's good to have a few ringers on the resume

Sat Aug 25, 04:05:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlotta-love said...

Can I put Mrs. Joe down too?

Sat Aug 25, 04:15:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

Here's to marrying up...

Sat Aug 25, 10:15:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

Very nice tribute to Mrs. Joe! I'm sure she'll put in a good word for you when the time comes.

Sat Aug 25, 11:34:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

Praise be to the internet men that love their wives and write about it!!

Mon Aug 27, 04:20:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

We should all aspire to be like Mrs. Joe.

Sounds like you married a good egg. Good on you! And yay for you for the public praise. May all husbands learn from you!

Mon Aug 27, 08:36:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Didn't need to prove it to me. Just another reference that lets us know what a great man you are!

Mon Aug 27, 09:13:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home