Monday, July 23, 2007

Some Athletes Can Be Role Models


I had planned on giving the highlights to Mrs. Joe & I's trip to Fenway to see the Red Sox yesterday. It would have started with complaining about the Boston traffic before the game. (The T wasn't running to Fenway, we had to take the bus.) It would have continued with the usual eating, drinking, cheering & jeering during the game. (Not much jeering with a win.) Followed by more complaining about the Boston traffic after the game. (Again, no T, but this time we all are leaving at once.)

Instead, I was reminded that all I did was go to a baseball game when I opened the paper this morning and read that Jon Lester was scheduled to pitch in tonight's game against the Cleveland Indians.

Jon Lester is a 23 year old Red Sox pitcher who was diagnosed last year with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I can't tell you anything more about it other than it's cancer. Talk about your reality check. I sat down and watched tonight's game cheering not only for the Red Sox but for Jon Lester. Anybody who can beat cancer, never mind come back to pitch in a major league baseball game has to be a hero. My heart filled with emotion as I watched his parents in the stands cheering for their son.

The Red Sox beat their opponent tonight. But more importantly Jon Lester beat his opponent, too. Luckily, this time it was only a game, not something bigger.

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Em said...

It was really nice to see him pitch last night!

Tue Jul 24, 01:07:00 PM 2007  
Blogger FENICLE said...

I have always wanted to visit Fenway. Sounds like a cool place to go.

Tue Jul 24, 11:22:00 PM 2007  
Blogger charlottalove said...

I've had a few "step back and realize what you really have" moments lately. Life sure looks great when you count your blessings. Great post.

Thu Jul 26, 08:43:00 AM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home