Thursday, July 19, 2007

How Can I Be Upset About Getting Red Sox Tickets?


Mrs. Joe got a phone call from her Pilates partner yesterday. It seems she had received tickets to the Red Sox game this Sunday. The seats are located behind home plate and as some of you may know, obtaining Red Sox tickets of this value is not easy.

Like a kid on Christmas morning, I was ready to accept the gift with open arms. I haven’t been to a game yet this year and it wasn’t looking like I would. Never mind sitting behind home plate. I immediately began thinking that this would be my first Red Sox game with The Champ. I was imagining his first ride on the T, his first walk down Yawkey Way, seeing Big Papi up close, all the things that make for a son’s first Red Sox game at Fenway Park.

As it turned out, I was incorrect in one assumption.

The tickets were intended for Mrs. Joe & me. It was to be a husbands and wives thing.

Realizing I wasn’t going to be able to take The Champ, I started feeling a little guilty. I have been looking forward to his first game for a while. How was I going to justify going to the game and not take him, I thought? Mrs. Joe voiced her concern about him going, anyway. She feels he’s still too young for that long of a day. And seeing that Mrs. Joe wanted to go to the game made it easier to accept. Usually, she is about as interested in the Red Sox as I am in who’s going to be the Next Food Network Star. (I am interested, but don’t tell anybody. GO AMY!)

So we have accepted the invitation. My sister will be watching the kids. At least it will be some fun for the adults. I can’t remember the last time Mrs. Joe has been to a game. We’ll drink some beers, eat some hot dogs and have a good time.

But I’ll be thinking of The Champ at times, still looking forward to our first game together.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Whit said...

We took our oldest when he was 2 and he actually did fine. He didn't watch the game, but he didn't make us leave.

I had this happen during football, my parents invited me to go to a game, and I assumed they meant the family. When I found out it was just me (they only had one extra ticket), I couldn't do it. I had fixed the image in my mind of my family being there together, and I knew I would feel bad.

Plus, it was just preseason.

Fri Jul 20, 11:37:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous Chaos Control said...

I took my little man to his first game when he was 8 months. Of course, it's easier when they're not running around and fidgety in their seats.

He's been at least twice a season since, and I've got to admit, it's a little tough at age 3. Attention span just isn't there - but it's still worth it because we can get up and walk around, people watch, etc.

Looking forward to hearing about it when the time comes that you do get to take the Champ!

Fri Jul 20, 02:30:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Stepping Over the Junk said...

I love the Red Sox. I'll be at the August 13th game (yay, a MONDAY, PAAAAARTY!)with my girlfriend and her husband (and another friend) But still, will love it. My kids' dad took them a few weeks ago and they loved it. They are 4 and 6. But they were going from his house which is 9 miles from Boston so it is easier than your trek maybe. Have a lovely time with your lady!

Sat Jul 21, 03:14:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

Tickets behind home plate?!?! I'm so jealous.

Mon Jul 23, 09:08:00 AM 2007  
Blogger charlottalove said...

It will be a fun date. Champ will get his turn one day. Have a great time!

Mon Jul 23, 10:05:00 AM 2007  
Anonymous TwoBusy said...

The expense and crowds (not to mention the insane difficulty in actually getting tix) has kept me from taking my kids to Fenway -- although we took my son to a AA game up in Manchester, NH back in June, and that worked out perfectly... a quality game, great seats, and I didn't even care that he spent the entire time walking up and down the aisle, eating popcorn, and only occasionally acknowledging that there was a baseball game going on because it only cost me $10/ticket.

That being said... I certainly understand your wish to bring the Champ to Yawkey Way, and hope you'll have a chance to do it next year. (Hope the two of you had a great time yesterday, too.)

Mon Jul 23, 01:51:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

I have had to make this choice when it comes to hockey and football around here...take my hubs or take my son/daughter.

I have been known to toss a ticket in my hubs direction out of pity, but if push comes to shove, I'd prefer to take the kids. They get such a kick out of it and it's like watching it through new eyes.

Have fun when you finally able to get to go to that first game with your son.

Mon Jul 23, 05:24:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home