Saturday, June 02, 2007

What Could He Do, Raise My Taxes?


Spring soccer is in full swing and The Champ is having fun and doing well. I guess as much fun as one can have considering you are not supposed to keep score. Tell that to a 5 year old as he runs up the field screaming to me after scoring his second goal of the game.

“Dad, that’s 4-0 us!!”

“No Champ, we don’t keep score. We are here to learn.”

I understand this is just an instructional league for the kids but to see the look on his face after my reply was disheartening.

Also, with 4 & 5 year olds the attention spans are obviously short. Waiting in a line while the coach teaches another player is agonizing to them. Some kids handle the waiting better than others. “Joey”, for example, is having a very difficult time remembering how to behave. More than once the coach has asked “Joey” to listen, stand still, keep his hands to himself, etc. without much success. Of course, the other kids eventually join in on the misbehaving, turning a simple passing drill into mayhem. I wondered if I should say something but I kept my mouth shut. Let the coach handle it, I told myself.

Smart move, I learn.

After a recent practice, while expressing my concern for little “Joey’s” inability to listen, another dad filled me in.

“Well you know who “Joey’s” dad is right?”

“No.” Why should that matter, I thought.

Turns out “Joey’s” dad is my state representative.

Looks like The Champ is going to learn another lesson.

It’s not what you know, it’s who you know.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Ben & Bennie said...

Oh that is hilarious! As they say, the fruit doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Sat Jun 02, 04:45:00 PM 2007  
Blogger Em said...

And Joey has good connections! LOL

Mon Jun 04, 12:11:00 PM 2007  
Anonymous Redneck Mommy said...

Too funny.

I made the mistake of bitching to the coach about one of the kiddies on my daughter's team. Turns out I was bitching about the coach's kid.

Yah. It was a fun moment.

Lesson learned. Keep mouth shut at all times.

Tue Jun 05, 01:33:00 PM 2007  
Blogger fatty said...

yikes...
[“Joey’s” inability to listen... ]
sounds like a state representative in the making to me..

Tue Jun 05, 03:21:00 PM 2007  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home